Results 1 to 2 of 2

Ask it here and it will likely be filtered into a relevant category.

  1. #1
    Season ticket holder amestaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

    Default British work terminology

    Alphabetical listing of terms and slang formed into some type of useable dictionary and glossary our friends from overseas can use.

    2nd fix joiners - Finishing carpenters (facings, skirtings, doors etc)
    Ames Taper
    - (Scottish term) Drywall finisher, taper, mudder
    Baden Powell - Trowel
    Bazooka - Mud tube
    Boy (the) - Apprentice
    Ceiling - Lid
    Coat Hangers - Sticking out screws
    Chippy - Carpenter
    Dabber or Dot-Dabber- Person who sticks boards to brick or blockwork with drywall adhesive
    Dryliner - Person who builds walls and ceilings
    Drylining - The process of building walls and ceilings from plasterboard panels (on stud partitions and block)
    Dumb and dumbers - Plumbers
    Externals - Metal angles tape or plasterers bead
    Fast Set - Hot mud
    Fiba or fibre tape - Mesh tape
    Gofer - Labourer
    Gun - Mud tube, automatic taping tool
    HSE - Health and Safety Executive
    Idiot Stick - Pole sander
    Internals - Angles, internal paper tape
    Joiner - Carpenter
    Joint cement - Air drying joint compound
    Joint Filler - Hot mud (British Gypsum brand), setting compound
    Jointer - (More generally used UK term) Drywall finisher, taper
    Labrador - Labourer
    Lousing Time - Home time
    Plasterboard - Sheetrock, drywall
    Plunger - Hand mixer
    Scrim - Patching tape, mesh
    Shooting the craw - In the process of leaving the site
    Snagging list - Punch list
    Skim or skim coat- Plastering
    Skimmer - Plasterer
    Spark or Sparky - Electrician
    Spread - Plasterer
    Stud or Studs - Partitions / Framing (Wood or metal)
    Tacker - Board hanger
    Taper and Jointer - (More generally used UK term) Drywall finisher, taper, mudders
    Taping and Jointing - Drywall finishing, taping
    Tattie masher - Hand mixer (potato style one you mash up and down)
    Velvet - Joint cement (Lafarge New pure velvet brand)
    Last edited by amestaper; 25-08-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: List updated
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to amestaper For This Useful Post:

    thestraightstory (14-02-2015)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts


    This is helpful in understanding the taping and jointing industry with all its different terms from one country to the next.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to thestraightstory For This Useful Post:

    amestaper (23-02-2015)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. British Standard 8212
    By georgebreaban in forum Taping, jointing and drywall finishing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-12-2016, 12:05 PM
  2. British gypsum promix
    By Highland Taper in forum Taping tools and materials
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 27-05-2016, 01:44 PM
  3. British Gypsum Joint Cement.
    By TonyM in forum Taping tools and materials
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-12-2015, 09:44 PM
  4. British Gypsum powders
    By saleen836 in forum Taping tools and materials
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-05-2011, 09:07 AM
  5. Jointing PDF from British Gyspum
    By secret squirrel in forum Taping tools and materials
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2010, 03:37 PM

Tags for this Thread


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts