Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: big g

New members. Please say hello and introduce yourself here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Default big g

hi folks just registered and i am a taper of 30 years experience from ayrshire,i use a flex giraffe sander and am pig sick of driveshaft breaking and having to send it away to be sorted.if anyone could explain how to do it myself i would much appreciate it.regards big g.

ps.glad to meet you all and look forward to yacking in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Welcome to the forum mate. Never had a driveshaft go myself, still on the original. Must be 6-7 yrs old now too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Welcome to the forum mate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

hi tony thanks for replying,had sander for 3 and a bit years now,first 2 trouble free then shaft went,sent it to bg to be sorted,lasted about 6 months,sent it again in november there and between then and now what with the xmas hols only sanded about 4 houses and it went again.seriously pissed off i phoned bg and they said i must be to heavy handed with it which is total crap i know what im doing.they actually sent me someone elses sander by mistake and they tried to tell me i didnt know what i was doing,so am trying to find out how to do it myself,thanks again for replying and nice to meet you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

thanks bud nice to meet u

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Welcome big g. It happened every other week years ago when several squads of tapers time shared a sander with a big firm, and definitely lasts longer if the driveshaft and sleeve are replaced at the same time. I think there's a schematic in the downloads section.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to amestaper For This Useful Post:

big g (27-02-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Get yerself a pole sander man, ive always used a pole sander and p120 paper, it also stops the beer belly gettin bigger lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

thanks ames taper they changed the casing this time so heres hoping it lasts a bit longer and i will check that out in the downloads and nice to meet you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

hahaha hi there chabev10 i will never pole sand a house if i can help it. its just so much easier with machine and you get a better job,and if i am forced to i like 100 grit,doesnt scratch and requires less effort,try a machine i promise you you will never go back to that horrible stick that covers you in dust and gets in your eyes and ears
    nice to meet you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How long does it take with the machine ? It only take's me an hour to sand and snag a three bed house, Appart from that i would need a jenny to power the machine no power on the sites unless you take your own MORE expense, i love my pole sanders lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chabev10 View Post
    How long does it take with the machine ? It only take's me an hour to sand and snag a three bed house, Appart from that i would need a jenny to power the machine no power on the sites unless you take your own MORE expense, i love my pole sanders lol
    you keep using your pole mate, love my flex edge sanding head... up the pole! sanding a three bed in an hour is good going, respect

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

i can do a 4 bed house with with 2 ensuites and cloakroom,and dining room in about 3 to 3 and a half hours. i agree that its not a lot faster than doing it with pole but its a lot cleaner and you are not knackered at the end of it. i use genny anyway for my mixing drill and lights in the winter. it is a lot to lay out to get started with machine but i am so glad i did it, i will not even pole sand a 2 bed house now even with set up time with machine i cant raise the effort to do it by hand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by big g View Post
    i can do a 4 bed house with with 2 ensuites and cloakroom,and dining room in about 3 to 3 and a half hours.i agree that its not a lot faster than doing it with pole but its a lot cleaner and you are not knackered at the end of it.i use genny anyway for my mixing drill and lights in the winter.it is a lot to lay out to get started with machine but i am so glad i did it,i will not even pole sand a 2 bed house now even with set up time with machine i cant raise the effort to do it by hand.
    power tools do make the job more fun, i use both methods. pole comes out when i am getting fat. your right about the fatiuge side of things. back in the day i used to hand rub maybe five six even seven units in a long summer day but at thirty two i would rather get the hoover out and my machine sander. i would be suprised if mr chabev would facy hand rubbing more than four or five three beds in a day, but with the sander its easy. still respect for the pole...
    Last edited by savage; 15-02-2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: stuff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

hi savage nice to meet you but i have no respect for the pole but i am 56 and the thought of pole sanding brings me out in a cold sweat lol.

Season Ticket Holder belmoreboy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

Hi big g welcome to the forum - have a little look at this thread, added some pictures a while back should help you a bit - we also sell all the spares and offer repair service if you get stuck

http://www.tapingandjointing.com/for...ght=driveshaft
    The Uk's No 1 Drylining & Plastering Tool Store
    01603 787464
    http://www.belmoretools.co.uk
    Skype - Facebook - Twitter - Blogger = belmoretools

Check Out http://www.SheetrockDirect.com Buy Sheetrock Products Online !

17. The Following User Says Thank You to belmoreboy For This Useful Post:

big g (18-02-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Hi Big G, welcome to the forum, we just sent our flex giraffe back to speedtape hire dept. Sick of it already. We hired sander and vac in November and since then we've had 3 sanders and 4 vaccuums off them! We sand 1 house then they break down, so their rep advised us to switch to the older model, the flex 500. Lighter, faster and no probs with power surges from gennys(he reckons that was what was f*ckn up the tools) Aint tried it yet as we forgot to order the velcro pad, doh!
    Where in Ayrshire you from?
    Good luck wi your driveshaft

19. The Following User Says Thank You to E.K Taper For This Useful Post:

big g (18-02-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Im 45 Big G and a few years back i ended up with a spontaneous pneumothorax or burst lung for those who dont know what it is,This was caused through smoking and over stretching on a job the day before a week in hospital and stopping smoking was the answer oh and the constant use of the pole sander to build up the muscle's again was strongly advised, Since then i feel 10yrs younger mind you i gave up the pint or 5 after work too lol.So you see appart from rubbing down walls n ceilings it dose have other benefit and it saves the fees on going to the gym. We have the most phyisical job in the building industry why get all wimpey with electric tools that take three times longer to sand a house ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chabev10 View Post
    Im 45 Big G and a few years back i ended up with a spontaneous pneumothorax or burst lung for those who dont know what it is,This was caused through smoking and over stretching on a job the day before a week in hospital and stopping smoking was the answer oh and the constant use of the pole sander to build up the muscle's again was strongly advised, Since then i feel 10yrs younger mind you i gave up the pint or 5 after work too lol.So you see appart from rubbing down walls n ceilings it dose have other benefit and it saves the fees on going to the gym. We have the most phyisical job in the building industry why get all wimpey with electric tools that take three times longer to sand a house ?
    i love your hardcore attitude, the pole sorts out the men from the boys... although i can rub down four bed in hour with a sander, then its thirty mins walking around with a sanding spong so the pole is not quicker but it is still a graet method and is the only part of the job that will keep you fit. nothing quite like just strolling about with a sanding pole, rather than heavy generator and sander ect. i remember when i first bought my sander, was out the window in about five min. used to just use it without vac. dusty but removes lot of arsing about. cant get away with that so much these days...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

hi e.k thanks,bit sick of them myself but i hire my taping tools of them,i know its a dear way to do it but i get less down time if anything goes wrong,next day delivery. im from irvine, im doing a wimpey site just now in e.k (lyndsayfield ) if my own sites quiet,(kilmarnock) its all wimpey work ive been doin for years, not the best prices but its constant work touch wood.what about yourself do you work the sites. belmores just posted a thread so i will have a look at that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

thanks belmoreboy, will check it out, was thinking of using yourselves next time for repair and will get shaft from you if i think i can do it myself, i have got stuff from you before (knives and stuff) and been happy with quality of them.

Thread Information