Visit Belmore Tools online shop

Stud partitions, suspended ceiling, dot dab and sheeting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default CSCS Card problems

Real-Debrid

Hi Guys, just joined and hope you may be able to help. I'm looking at getting back into site work after about a 4 year break doing domestics and refurbs.
    Round about 2006 the contractor I worked for got us cscs cards which were labelled "Experienced Worker" and on the back it said "Dryliner Fixer, we were doing mostly metal stud, MF and lay in grid. I think someone was to come and assess us and then we'd get the NVQ card but this never happened, I went to work for another guy and let the card lapse. This has proved to be a big mistake 'cos now they're saying they can only give me a "Site Operative" card which no drywall contractor is going to accept as it doesn't prove I can do the job, they won't give me an "Experienced Worker" card 'cos I"ve already had one! They say I need to get on site and then be assessed for the NVQ, but obviously I can't 'cos I haven't got the correct 'kin card!
    The urge to scream torrents of abuse at the jobsworth on the phone was quite overwhelming I can tell you. it's hard enough to secure work these days without people putting barriers in front of you. Does anyone know of any ways around this crap, or what the best course of action would be. Maybe I can get an assessor to look at a private job? Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Hi Gman, welcome to the forum. Do you have any sort of paperwork/ certificates to say you are time served in your trade? E.G. a certificate of Apprenticeship or something? If you have then just call the CSCS people and explain what you have and theyll sort u out ! If not, then I'm afraid its the NVQ assessor for you. Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to E.K Taper For This Useful Post:

GMan (22-05-2012)

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    Hi Gman, welcome to the forum. Do you have any sort of paperwork/ certificates to say you are time served in your trade? E.G. a certificate of Apprenticeship or something? If you have then just call the CSCS people and explain what you have and theyll sort u out ! If not, then I'm afraid its the NVQ assessor for you. Good luck!
    When i sat my cscs test& got my card they seemed to know every thing about me, it came with all my nvq's written on it, fir what its worth i dont think any body has read whats on the back of my card, they just seem to look at the expiry date.Im sure the cscs folk must have everyones qualifications on system that will obviously match with your ni number etc Welcome to the forum

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sq ames taper For This Useful Post:

GMan (22-05-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Thanks boys, sadly I don't have any formal qualifications to show the lovely people at cscs. i started doing this work 12 years ago after a chat with a bloke I met in the pub, a scenario I'm sure you're familiar with! I phoned up an old mate today and relayed my tale of woe, he basically said " sorry buddy but you're gonna have to blag your way onto a site somewhere and get an asssessor (who probably knows ***k all about your trade) to come down for a few weeks and watch you slap up some boards/metal/etc. then your gonna have to part with 5-700 quid! for the card. Oh I see I'm now paying for the privilege of working! Thanks ever so much. The prices I'm hearing about also seem pretty ***t. Guess you boys know all about that though, it's a hard world getting a lot ******g harder

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GMan For This Useful Post:

amestaper (23-05-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Your introduction to the trade is somewhat similar to mine. It just transpires that my course and certificate I got many years ago have been trumped by the newer NVQ, and even though I have 19 years experience in the trade I feel pissed that can just be dismissed with the tick of a pen. I really should renew mine next year, but choke at paying an assessor 600 when I never had any intention of doing site work again anyway.

A mate of mine got his NVQ on a small private job in Leeds about 3 years ago. He was supposed to be assessed over two days, but was asked in advance to bring a change of clothes. The assessor did the test in one day, taking photos of him in the change of clothes to give the impression it was done over two. My concerns are, do they really care about your aptitude to do a job up to scratch, safety and such (because Ive saw some shocking work from NVQ card holders), and do you a favour by inconveniencing and messing up your routines for a day less, or are they in the business for just the sake of being in business to suit themselves?

You may have already saw this thread
    http://www.tapingandjointing.com/for...931-CSCS-cards

Welcome to the site by the way.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Its just a money making scam, Amestaper.I'm sure we've had this conversation elsewhere on the forum too, its a tax on the working guy, end of. I've heard stories of guys getting NVQ'd for painting in a couple of hours - coat that ceiling, fill that window sill, undercoat this door, emulsion that wall and gloss that facing- job done , theres your NVQ! Oh and that'll be 600 quid please...... I'm sure it'll be the same for taping and also for guys like Gman doing metal stud etc.
    I was on a site last year and the painter fella got told to leave the site as he had been working on the 'experienced workers' card for too long, but he couldn't get the CSCS card cos he's the same as Gman - no NVQ or official qualifications- so he's sacked! Painted Persimmon houses for about 20 years and now he's not qualified to paint them?
    Someone's having a laugh here and it sure as hell aint us

10. The Following User Says Thank You to E.K Taper For This Useful Post:

amestaper (25-05-2012)

Thread Information