Visit Belmore Tools online shop

CSCS, OSAT, IPAF, PASMA, asbestos, risk assessment etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Default Health & Safety Executive Fees

Persimmons own H&S guy pulled us all in for toolbox talk last week and mentioned that from 1st October the HSE will charge an 'intervention fee' to companies not carrying out their work to the safety standards required. He went on at length about groundworkers digging excavations without proper barriers etc etc yaddy yaddy yadda but for guys like us its quite simple.
    If they catch you up a ladder taping a stairwell then from the moment they call you down they charge for every 6 minutes during their lecture, and this continues while the site manager gets his balls felt for allowing it and while they prepare and write a lengthy and exaggerated report on it- and their hourly charge is 124. That gets sent to the client (Persimmon, Wimpy, Barratt, whoever) and they will just pass it on to the subby in question- our boss. He, obviously, is just gonna pass it on to the culprit, you or I.
    What other trade or industry allows their guys to work in an environment where one slight misdemeanor results in them getting fined a days wages, or more?
    For serious bad practise, like dodgy scaffolds, then fair enough but methinks the common old working man is being used to supply additional funding for likes of the HSE and its not on.Its going to get to the point where we all down tools, and sit in our cars/vans when the HSE visit.
    So fellas, if you aint heard of this thru the grapevine, then watch your back. The HSE will be patrolling sites like jumped up fking traffic wardens....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to E.K Taper For This Useful Post:

amestaper (11-08-2012)

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

EK last year a taper on a site local to me got caught by Persimmons safety guy using a ladder and a plank to tape the stairwell, they fined him ........... 1000
    they are seriously taking the urine

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Brian S For This Useful Post:

E.K Taper (11-08-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Thats a disgrace Brian, the fella wouldnt have got anywhere near a grand to tape the bloody house!! If we get caught using a ladder and plank its a red card. End of. They've got us by the balls mate, trying to claw money back and its a shame for those who get innocently caught out. The building trade has come on so much with regards to H&S in the past 5 years or so but now its just overkill. The Persimmons guy was berating the agent as their was no pedestrian walkways , "Theres guys walking all over the road" he wailed. F*ck sakes we're all grown men, we know how to cross the road without getting mangled by a dumper truck. I was IN the Tufty Club at school,. Its going too far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Lol. You mean the pedestrian walkways designated by steel rods and plastic tape? That will surely stop said dumper truck right in its tracks.

You know i think it makes sense to start creating h+s policies that scale in severity depending on job description and where you work on site. This is nuts.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    Lol. You mean the pedestrian walkways designated by steel rods and plastic tape? That will surely stop said dumper truck right in its tracks.

You know i think it makes sense to start creating h+s policies that scale in severity depending on job description and where you work on site. This is nuts.
    Be interesting to see if such a case was to be appealed against if they have a leg to stand on in law......

8. The Following User Says Thank You to forestbhoy For This Useful Post:

E.K Taper (12-08-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

You may have a point there, Forestbhoy, but what chance the little guy????

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    You may have a point there, Forestbhoy, but what chance the little guy????
    Brother in law is one of the top lads in h+s for EDF in this country.He reckons a lot of what is put down by the elf lads is just down to people not really knowing the law and if in doubt,just ban it instead......Since the onus is now ALL put on the agent and not so much the company he works for,the lad who 2 years ago was driving the forklift and is now an agent,will just go along with anything he is told and won't challenge it.Until agents start doing this,and i can't see it happening, it will continue to be hard for the little guy.....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to forestbhoy For This Useful Post:

E.K Taper (12-08-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by forestbhoy View Post
    Be interesting to see if such a case was to be appealed against if they have a leg to stand on in law......
    Going back to this one, Forerstbhoy, I agree they might not be able to enforce such a thing thru the courts but , like I said earlier, they've got us by the short and curlies. If my contractor refuses to accept the fine from the house builder they'll just bump him off site, and probably all the sites he does for them. If I refused the fine from him then he just wouldn't give me anymore work. Not really worth it, is it? Yes, we may be standing up for ourselves as the 'little guys' but really it would cost us more in the long run.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    Going back to this one, Forerstbhoy, I agree they might not be able to enforce such a thing thru the courts but , like I said earlier, they've got us by the short and curlies. If my contractor refuses to accept the fine from the house builder they'll just bump him off site, and probably all the sites he does for them. If I refused the fine from him then he just wouldn't give me anymore work. Not really worth it, is it? Yes, we may be standing up for ourselves as the 'little guys' but really it would cost us more in the long run.
    And unfortunately your right....it ain't going to change for a long while yet....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Last time elf and safety came on the my current site i just sat on the stairs, when asked what i was doin just told him saving myself a couple of . Those bastards will find something to get you everytime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

yes I'll be sitting in my van next time they come. Heard a painter got pulled a while back for having turps in an empty coke bottle. He'd ran out so the fella painting next door poured some into the bottle for him, H&S came in and started going on about "what if someone mistook it for water and had a drink ?" load of b*llocks!

Thread Information