Off site day to day running of your business.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Advice on obtaining work

Hello fellow tapers , although I have continuous work at the moment I would really like to branch out and take on my own contracts .. Does anyone have any advice on how to go about this other than the usual bussines cards local adverts etc ?? I don't really drink so networking at the pub isnt really an option haha .. Any advice would be great fully received .. I am based in the south east of England

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Everyone in this forum feels the same as you, be gratefull you've got regular work as alot of guys dont, however have you tried the local paper advert or writing to some local builders you might get lucky with some conversions etc and not a lot of outgoings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Yeah, get on to local builders etc and drop into some new developments you see springing up, cos sometimes the taping contract isnŽt actually awarded till the job is sheeted.
    Oh, and if you get some contracts then thats when youŽll start drinking............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sq ames taper View Post
    Everyone in this forum feels the same as you, be gratefull you've got regular work as alot of guys dont, however have you tried the local paper advert or writing to some local builders you might get lucky with some conversions etc and not a lot of outgoings.
    I hope I haven't came over as ungrateful , I know I'm fortunate to have work it would just be nice to see a little more of the money I earn going into my pocket rather than someone else's .. But it's true that we are all in the same position in terms of earning . I do advertise in my local but only pick up smaller repairs ie leaked ceilings etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    Yeah, get on to local builders etc and drop into some new developments you see springing up, cos sometimes the taping contract isnŽt actually awarded till the job is sheeted.
    Oh, and if you get some contracts then thats when youŽll start drinking............
    Hahaha, navigating contracts with liquidated damages will definately bring up a thirst, but wait till you get staff......Thats when you start drinking like a fish....They say workaholics become alcoholics but I maintain I need to remain a workaholic to fund the alcoholism......an ever diminishing circle where I may eventually disappear up my own ar$ehole.....

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krispie For This Useful Post:

amestaper (27-08-2012), E.K Taper (27-08-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Oh I just assumed the boarding would be included with the taping ? I will try that then thank you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Taping not always in with the boarding, certainly not up here, its usually the joiners that board the place then we go in after them. Sometimes even the painting contract is separate from the taping, although on the bigger sites like housebuilding they kind of insist on the one company doing tape then paint. Good luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Taping not always in with the boarding, certainly not up here, its usually the joiners that board the place then we go in after them. Sometimes even the painting contract is separate from the taping, although on the bigger sites like housebuilding they kind of insist on the one company doing tape then paint. Good luck.
    On the big housebuilders sites unless it's timber frame the drylining company tend to do everything up to paint stage but I'm certainly going to try my luck just picking up t&j on smaller sites .. Thank you

Thread Information