Apprenticeships, NVQ's, City & Guilds etc.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Next generation.....

Had this talk a few times at work.Off the top of my head, i only know 3 lads under 30 doing the taping.Just wonder what it's like in other parts of the UK.....is there any major numbers starting to do it,will the prices shoot through the roof when this recession buggers off,because of lack of labour....be interesting to hear what you lot think...??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

I know of none, and no apprentices either. Prices were good 20 years ago when hardly anyone did the job, so supply and demand may dictate they may come back again in future. I wouldnt hold my breath though.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

What I have noticed down my end is there are youngsters doing it but for the firms I don't work for. Basically the ones paying 1.65ish a metre. They are supplying them with tools and training and paying them a pittance, they are happy because they have job and don't know any better. This allows the contractor to undercut the good firms because of their cheap labour force.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

I know of a few lads under 30 taping but apprentices? Hmmm, i dont think so tbh. I suppose with this being the 4th year of the recession any apprentices will have chucked it by now, and no one fancies starting out in the trade while we are in recession so maybe it'll pick up in a few years? More work for us guys though, so no complaints here.

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crack filler View Post
    What I have noticed down my end is there are youngsters doing it but for the firms I don't work for. Basically the ones paying 1.65ish a metre. They are supplying them with tools and training and paying them a pittance, they are happy because they have job and don't know any better. This allows the contractor to undercut the good firms because of their cheap labour force.

MJ by chance Steve?
    You keeping busy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
    MJ by chance Steve?
    You keeping busy?
    Hiya mate yes and partridge bros
    not busy but working paying bills, having the odd day out here and there, its all or nothing at mo not a doff then two houses ready at same time, what about yougot plenty coming in.

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Same as you, nothing, then flat out, and as usual all round the country

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

ive got an apprentice just now,had him about 2-3 months,its the nephew of the boy i subbie to.not costing me anything money wise and dare say i will make money of him in the near future,but i dont think he wants to be there,his face trips him all day long.dont know if its young ones nowadays that dont like physical work,they want to spend all day on their phones or online.
    its his first job and its been a bit of a shock to the system i think,wait till winter comes in lol,i honestly think he will jack it in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

I have seen a few younger guys trying there hand at the taping, none last more than a month or two, and thats before the winter kicks in. they would rather be talking to there pals, and doing sod all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

i know many poeple like this, at first they really want a job for money, then they get on and think fcuk it back on the dol. it does annoy me, im 19 and have always been in work sinch i left school at 16 doing various things. i am now 19 and a apprentice with a company dealing with commercial sites, i quite enjoy what i do atm (making good) and i want to progress to be a skilled hang tape and jointer and then move on to machines. its just a shame many 'youths/teens' lack the drive for a job

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

well said young man,good luck for the future although with that work ethic you will not need luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thank yoi very much, with everyones help i hope to go far in terms of development

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im 22 been doing the job for the past 3 years bought my self full taping kit last summer but all i see nower days lads my age dont want really to do job like that some of my mate rather do 12 h 8 ph in the shop not sure ..

Thread Information