Need a tradesman? Want an apprentice? Post your ad here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Looking for reliable jointers for work in Peterborough and Huntingdon

Hello. I am new to the site and have joined to try and source some additional sub-contractors who can help us out. We have various sites on the go and a few due to start in the very near future. At the moment we rely heavily on one jointer who has a few lads with him. Never had a problem with the finish, but he is now letting us down and also holding us to ransom over payment terms. Basically, he now wants to take a draw off of units he hasn't even started! If we don't he says he doesn't have the fuel money to get to the sites we need him at. He has let us down again today, hence this post.

We pay decent rates and just want the job done with minimum hassle.

We have work in Essex, Suffolk, Cambridge and Norwich, but at the moment our main concern is covering the Peterborough site (38 houses) and Huntingdon (50 houses).

If anyone is interested then please get in touch. We could also do with hearing from tackers and stickers as our usual guys are going to struggle to keep up.

Thanks in advance for your help. I don't know if it is the done thing to post email addresses or telephone numbers on here, so I will post this, and see who gets in touch!

Dan.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to UTF For This Useful Post:

amestaper (28-02-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sorry, I have now read the relevant sticky at the top of this page. A bit more info. You can contact me on 01728 860550 or dan@universaltradeforce.com

The company is called Universal and we have been going for 3 years, we work for a few of the major house builders and do a fair bit on construction sites such as schools and hospitals.

Sorry for lack of info in my first post. Thanks for your help.

Dan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Are you an agency, because you sound like one? Also, if you are paying decent rates, why can't he afford to get to your jobs? No offence, just an observation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hello Tony

No we are not an agency, we work on a supply and fit basis. To cut a long story short, we have only been going for three years and when we started our work was a unit here and a last minute job there, not enough to keep a jointer going for any period. The guy we use would squeeze us in, on the understanding that we would pay on the day he finished, we also used to pay basically what he asked for. Now we have enough work to keep one or two jointers going and we have some decent runs of work. I am not going to bad mouth our jointer, he always leaves a nice finish, but we cant keep playing games. He says he needs a draw on a house on day one of jointing, and if we don't agree he just says "sorry no diesel!". So he has me over a barrel.

We pay weekly, but need to manage cash flow the same as anyone else. Plus I just don't have time to keep chasing him to sand down plots that he has already been paid 100% for. He jumps off to another firm for a few days and has no incentive to come back and finish. The house-bashing rates aren't great I know. Some of the large firms this way are paying 1.30/m2 which is ridiculous, then holding 10% retention and deducting a CITB levy. We like to think we are fair.

Dan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Your jointer is obviously in the shit financially. Shame you're not nearer as we could've possibly helped you out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

He has always been like it. He just likes a beer a bit too much and can't manage his finances. Shame, because he is a nice guy and does a decent job.

There seems to be enough people on here that know what they are doing, so I am sure we will find some decent trades to work with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

It is a shame your out of my area you are coming across as a decent firm to work for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Evening crack filler, great name by the way. My partner and I have not been off the tools that long ourselves, so we know what it's like trying to earn a living. We have been lied to about rates, sent to jobs that aren't ready, made to wait months for our money, not been paid at all and generally treated like crap by all the major firms in our area. We decided we could run a firm and work together with subbies all earn a bit. We would rather earn a few quid less but have people who actually want to come and work for you and have enough money in the price to do a half decent job. Makes our life easier and gives us a better reputation, both with he trades and the builders.

The problems we now face are:

1) Some of the main contractors are worse than any Drylining firm, and mess us about with payments
    2) There are plenty of subbies who see that you are trying to be reasonable and take it as a sign of weakness and just take the piss
    3) Other firms pricing at stupid rates and pushing the price down for everyone. They are the ones who just knock it off their blokes prices, but we are tendering against them and its hard to compete.

We are hoping that as things pick up, decent trades will just stop working for the firms who have been subbie bashing for the last few years. That will make life easier for the decent ones out there. We still want to earn a few quid and we have our fall outs, but this game is hard enough without being a war with everyone who works with you.

Rant over! I am just stroppy as it is Saturday night and I have no beer in the house.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to UTF For This Useful Post:

amestaper (03-03-2013), crack filler (03-03-2013), E.K Taper (03-03-2013), wallpaul (03-03-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crack filler View Post
    It is a shame your out of my area you are coming across as a decent firm to work for.
    My thoughts exactly! Again, wish I was closer so I could help out but hopefully someone on here lives near enough to do the job? Good contractors are few and far between just now!
    Let us know how you get on Dan
    And welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by E.K Taper; 03-03-2013 at 11:46 PM.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Best of luck,you seem a decent bloke.

Season Ticket Holder belmoreboy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

HI UTF in a Norwich based drywall supplier (and EX Contracting firm Norwich Drylining Ltd) happy to provide you with list of good jointer's contact numbers - be good to chat give me a call if you like 01603 787464 - Marcus
    The Uk's No 1 Drylining & Plastering Tool Store
    01603 787464
    http://www.belmoretools.co.uk
    Skype - Facebook - Twitter - Blogger = belmoretools

Check Out http://www.SheetrockDirect.com Buy Sheetrock Products Online !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Alright dan, it's Marc the jointer! Gis a bell when you need mate & il be more than happy to do some more work for you guys. I remember when you boys first started up & went through a load of shit so I'm glad to here you've come out the other side.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Itz threads like this that make you wish you lived in Peterborough. But hey 1.30 a meter iz that labour only. If your subbie is taking the piss and it sounds like it then get rid of him. No matter what he says he needs you as much as you need him if not more. Your tbe contractor your his boss you tell him how it is just like the builder tells you. You can be nice and fair but you must be firm or people will take advantage its human nature.

Thread Information