New members. Please say hello and introduce yourself here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hi from spain. Newbie advice please urgent

Hi guys
    i am an expat living in spain and after 9 years out here i wish to return to the uk. Don't ask! Long winded story but got made redundant two weeks ago and got lots of reasons to return to the uk.
    im after some help and advice please as i have a lot resting on this decision. Cut a long story short work wise i have done many jobs from i.T in an office to gardening and various other jobs.

I want to re train and get a skill so i can return home and look for work in a field that i can earn some money in rather than minimum wage driving a van. I can turn my hand at most things. Im 38 and was chatting to a guy last week from Brighton and he said go back to uk and do a 7 day course on dry lining etc. i am looking at the ableskills one in dartford. I like the plastering course but i cannot see how you be be a great plasterer after ten weeks? Surely its a labour of love and you cant buy experience?

Anyway im after some advice as i have a family to support and i want to make a go of whats left of my life and i feel i have not achieved what i wanted in the first 20 years of working! Now is the time to up the game as it were. Im thinking of moving back to the suffolk area cant afford essex where originally from and prefer suffolk anyway. Can anybody help. If i complete the 7 day ableskills course will i be able to get work and will i be able to earn enough money? Im hoping for some positivity as i really cant think of anything else i want to re train as? Don't hammer on about the immigrants too much as I'm an immigrant in spain and i know how people feel but thats something none of us can do anything about. Any advice greatly appreciated as i have a lot resting on my move back. I came across the forum and think i can get some good advice.

Many mnay thanks for some help. More than welcome to listen to other ideas of re training. Im 38 and need to pick something i can stick with for a future.
    Many thanks
    js

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

No, you can't be a great plasterer after ten weeks! I've been doing it along with drylining and ceiling fixing for about ten years and it takes a long while to pick up all the tricks of the trade along with the speed and shortcuts around everyday problems.
    Site work is unfortunately now badly paid in most areas unless you "fall on your feet" and get a result of a job with long runs of boarding/metal or nice big hits of skimming to earn the money on meterage. And even then you need to be pretty fast, which isn't easy if you're inexperienced.
    Then there's all the health and safety b*****ks to contend with. If you still fancy it do a course and try and get a start with a drylining firm that does commercial work: municipal buildings, schools, offices, colleges etc. There's bigger areas to work in and big areas means more dough, but it's a slog I warn you!
    I'd keep away from large national housebuilders; they expect the earth in five minutes! and generally for crap money.
    If your IT skills are any good, that's where I'd be headed. I wouldn't want you to start smashing your back to pieces lugging Soundblock or Duraline boards about, especially at 38, i'm 37 and I'm really starting to feel it.
    best of luck my friend in whatever path you choose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks gman for your time. I think you have highlighted some of my concerns. I think the IT trade is no way as good as it used to be. I was thinking the same about getting older and being able to lug the stuff about. Thanks for your input. Im unsure as to what to do? Thinking of tiling as well as easier on the body as you get older? Need to retrain asap as at the moment i have the time.
    thanks again
    jeff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Got any experience with boats? Engineering? The Renewable Energy Industry is about the only thing that's on the up in this country. Do a sea survival course, first aid course and roped access course, there may be one other I can't remember due to the amount of wine i've drunk!
    Whether we like it or not these wind farms are on the increase and besides the construction of them there is obviously the maintenance over the next 25 years, which is their lifespan. And the money is really good although I cannot guarantee you'll be home with the family every night. I know many people involved in this, and they all seem to be "having it off" as we say in Essex!
    Try not to become one of the 80% of people in this country working in a service industry. Part of the reason we're in such a mess is because nobody produces anything anymore. I know, I'm cynical.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Been sailing most of my life off southend then around the south coast and the med but don't want to get involved in that. I was thinking about the green industry. Having it off haha I'm originally from Benfleet in essex so I'm fluent mate. Will have a look round those ideas you mentioned. Ay tips on places to google etc as im drawing a lot of blanks? I basically need to retrain and get out if mallorca and back to the uk and find a job i can carve a career out of for the next 25 years and make a living from. Hard work or hours dont scare me but good pay is attractive. Having been out in spain for ten years im at. Loss as to where the money is nowadays crack on with the wine! Its so hot out here at the moment im on a mojito at the moment which is very u like me! Thanks for your help mate.

Thread Information