Visit Belmore Tools online shop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Default NVQ2 in drylining

Are skilled trademen dropping out the building game because of the bullshit paperwork involved to stay in operation?

I learned a few months ago that to continue operating on site after 2010 I need to obtain an NVQ 2 in dryling even though I have 16 years on site experience. This job wasnt even officially recognized as a trade when I started for f**ks sake! My suspicions are my pockets are about to be picked, I will have to take time off and travel to some far away place for a few days. How expensive will it be to demonstrate to a stranger with a clipboard I'm able do my job to an acceptable standard?

Anyone had to do this recently? Any help would be appreciated.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Arrow

I have heard no such thing, but i am going to be following this with interest. I have often thought we NEEDED a set standard here. but i don't trust a govt bureau to set it intelligently
    Plumb and Level are the framer's perogative ...I can give you flat and straight... www.lightrocktaping.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightrock For This Useful Post:

amestaper (04-07-2009)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

It can be done with on site assessments by some cock that knows bugger all about the trade, but who has paid for a license to be able to assess. And its going to cost you about 500 notes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyM For This Useful Post:

amestaper (04-07-2009)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lightrock View Post
    I have often thought we NEEDED a set standard here. but i don't trust a govt bureau to set it intelligently
    I had already been taping for 3 years before I passed the set standard over 13 years ago with a course at British Gypsum. They.ve moved the goalposts Peter, and regarding your govt bureau remark. I dont either.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    It can be done with on site assessments by some cock that knows bugger all about the trade, but who has paid for a license to be able to assess. And its going to cost you about 500 notes.
    I know a couple of guys who have done this job succesfully for 40 years. One has already left the country, the others packing the building game in.

This what I suspected all along, yet another cash generating scheme.

So I have to do another assessment after already paying for a training course I travelled to London for in the 90's, only to find out its useless now. I'm annoyed my site experience and current qualification now means f*ck all in the governments eyes.

Trying so hard to find a positive angle to this, I suppose I still have time on my side to show Im capable of doing the job. Anyone got any phone numbers and whether or not I could apply for a CITB grant?
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Senile Old Bastard the_tapeinator's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

it will be a piece of piss if you have taping that long. surely?
    if you think not, take a bribe with you.
    Jesus loves you........ everyone else thinks you're an arsehole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default call me mercenary

ooh. get in first.

BE the guy who goes about certifying others! and have your own bribe packages prepared so you don't look like you are making the price up on the spot.

"Well I am sorry it comes to this Mr Withertapes, but your crumbling work and scorched drying technique don't meet the strict standards Britain was made great by... call us again in a year.
    ...of course, if you wish to purchase our Advanced Credit package I can give you a reassessment based on the tips I'll give you."
    Plumb and Level are the framer's perogative ...I can give you flat and straight... www.lightrocktaping.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I have fond memories of bribery, corruption and intimidation. I miss Sicily so much.

Season Ticket Holder belmoreboy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

Alex,

Not sure if i've ever shared this but Belmore are also a Drylining Contractor (Norwich Drylining Ltd) been contracting for over 30 years, (comes in handy for tool testing at times!)

We took on a contract for Large National builder couple of years ago and had to have all our on the books guys NVQ tetsed - we also had about 8 - 10 sub contract tapers and boarders working for us.

We got a cracking deal getting them all tested and through the scheme and as tony says it's very quick and minimal paperwork (unless its changed but these things don't usually)

Will look back at prices we paid and see if i can find the name of the company we used.

It's annoying that you need it but it has helped us win a few contracts since getting all the guys qualified.

Personally think the trade needs something like this to keep the cowboys at bay - but not sure NVQ is the correct thing for site quality and regulation, it seems it's more geared towards site safety and general site activities.

The CSCS scheme was supposed to regulate the trade but from what i have seen it is very very easy to get hold of a card and not all sites ask to see it anyway!
    The Uk's No 1 Drylining & Plastering Tool Store
    01603 787464
    http://www.belmoretools.co.uk
    Skype - Facebook - Twitter - Blogger = belmoretools

Check Out http://www.SheetrockDirect.com Buy Sheetrock Products Online !

11. The Following User Says Thank You to belmoreboy For This Useful Post:

amestaper (05-07-2009)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

I remember this question from my CSCS test - 'Why should you lift any nails you see lying around on the ground or sticking out pieces of scrap wood' or something to that effect. One of the multiple choice answers was 'In case the site runs out of nails'.
    Thankfully everyone else in the test centre was wearing headphones because I laughed so hard.

Construction Skills have been in contact and the number they gave me to arrange a booking was 0844 844 0046.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    Are skilled trademen dropping out the building game because of the bullshit paperwork involved to stay in operation?

I learned a few months ago that to continue operating on site after 2010 I need to obtain an NVQ 2 in dryling even though I have 16 years on site experience. This job wasnt even officially recognized as a trade when I started for f**ks sake! My suspicions are my pockets are about to be picked, I will have to take time off and travel to some far away place for a few days. How expensive will it be to demonstrate to a stranger with a clipboard I'm able do my job to an acceptable standard?

Anyone had to do this recently? Any help would be appreciated.
    yes thats correct i did mine 5 years ago and its up for renewal now and goin to cost me 50.you have to do a heath and safety course first and go to your nearest driving test centre to do a touch screen test, pretty basic really, then a cscs person comes and takes a few photo's doin your work , thats it really, a load of bollocks if you ask me, i thought it was a good idea if it stopped foreign workers coming and nicking our jobs, but wen companies pay them fuck all, its a waste of time. any tom dick or harry can get a cscs card, even if they had no arms to do the job,go online and get info off cscs card site, hope this helps, by the way got any work the russians took all ours

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thumbs up

I have heard no such thing, but i am going to be following this with interest. I have often thought we NEEDED a set standard here. but i don't trust a govt bureau to set it intelligently
    ive been working on the new QE hospital in B/ham and you can do your cscs nvq on site here, you just have to do safety course somewhere else, it does not cost 500 , i no tapers that been down london and done them both the same day and it was free, i find out details if ur interested,the cscs card scheme has been going for at least 8 yrs as far as i no,cards last 5 yrs and mine has expired now, but need to to do safety push button test at driving test centre now to renew at a cost of 50. it doesn't stop tapers or think they can tape comin onsite when there fookin useless, so wats the point

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thumbs up

you definetly need a nvq cscs card to get on any site soon,no card no work

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by belmoreboy View Post
    Alex,

Not sure if i've ever shared this but Belmore are also a Drylining Contractor (Norwich Drylining Ltd) been contracting for over 30 years, (comes in handy for tool testing at times!)

We took on a contract for Large National builder couple of years ago and had to have all our on the books guys NVQ tetsed - we also had about 8 - 10 sub contract tapers and boarders working for us.

We got a cracking deal getting them all tested and through the scheme and as tony says it's very quick and minimal paperwork (unless its changed but these things don't usually)

Will look back at prices we paid and see if i can find the name of the company we used.

It's annoying that you need it but it has helped us win a few contracts since getting all the guys qualified.

Personally think the trade needs something like this to keep the cowboys at bay - but not sure NVQ is the correct thing for site quality and regulation, it seems it's more geared towards site safety and general site activities.
    your right there ,we had tapers on our last job , and stevie wonder could of done a better job ,they still had cards .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Another spanner could be thrown into the works by a UK govt intent on making life more difficult for us all yet again. They now intend replacing the NVQ with another qualification in 2010. You couldnt make this up, could you?
    http://www.cskills.org/newsandevents...e-of-nvqs.aspx

Seeing as I don't do much site work these days I probably won't even bother wasting my money.
    Now where did I leave that emigration thread?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I don't have one or care for one either and dont work on site any more as the wages are poor and not many people speak english. CSCS card is easy to get, involves buying a book and using common sense if you dont know answers, 15 minute read followed by quick 15 minute H&S test.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    I remember this question from my CSCS test - 'Why should you lift any nails you see lying around on the ground or sticking out pieces of scrap wood' or something to that effect. One of the multiple choice answers was 'In case the site runs out of nails'.
    Thankfully everyone else in the test centre was wearing headphones because I laughed so hard.

Construction Skills have been in contact and the number they gave me to arrange a booking was 0844 844 0046.
    Hey Alex, I start mine on Tuesday got some guy from the local construction college coming out to enroll me, oh and I can't get any funding as I finished school and got some O grades, so it's going to cost me 600 sucks big time but needs must....!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

I know I have to and will get it done next time I'm working on a site, but f**k knows when that will be. I dont pay a CITB levy, nor do I want to, so will just have to pay the 600 notes from my own pocket

Good to see you made it. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

The CITB grant and levy topics were moved here.
    http://www.tapingandjointing.com/for...evy-and-grants

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

They have been trying to in force it for years but when there was so much work and not enough labour contractors we pretty lax about it.

Know that they have a bit more time on the hands they are clearly going to try an push it through.

Just as well I got mine sometime ago

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default nvq

where or who do you talk to about doing this nvq leve l2
    and is there a level 1 you have to do before.
    last year went to british gypsum only a one day
    there was no mention about nvqs but they did say they would come out to site to train our work force
    for free never took it up.
    it sonuds like it would have been a waste of time.

Thread Information