Thread: Back pain

Other stuff. Everything else unrelated to building site chat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Default Back pain

Anyone get this now and then?
    i done my back on Friday morning, pulled the 12 box from the bottom of the wall up a couple of feet and aaaaaarrrrrggh! From the left side above my hip across to the middle , it's agony
    Managed to struggle thru the day as I wanted to finish the house but I've obviously made things worse
    Meant to go yesterday to sand and start another but that's out the equation and today's a write off too
    I have found codeine, ibuprofen , Russian Standard and Stella Artois helpful though

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Yep, happens to old fogeys quite a lot easy on the tablets, but copius amounts of Stella and the Russian should see you not having any pain at all, well not till the following day at least
    Last edited by Brian S; 05-05-2014 at 03:57 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Brian S For This Useful Post:

E.K Taper (05-05-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Been popping painkillers like blue smarties for a few years now EK. Lower back and neck/shoulders all generally pretty f****d up. Stella does generally do the biz as does a wee dram now and then. cant help but fell the taping will chuck me long before i chuck it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DMC For This Useful Post:

E.K Taper (05-05-2014)

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    Anyone get this now and then?
    i done my back on Friday morning, pulled the 12 box from the bottom of the wall up a couple of feet and aaaaaarrrrrggh! From the left side above my hip across to the middle , it's agony
    Managed to struggle thru the day as I wanted to finish the house but I've obviously made things worse
    Meant to go yesterday to sand and start another but that's out the equation and today's a write off too
    I have found codeine, ibuprofen , Russian Standard and Stella Artois helpful though
    Not the back pain,but I did drink 2 much wine and Champagne a week past sat after getting engaged!
    Went and fell into a door post at home and cracked my ribs So not worked since but need 2 get back now as getting grief about houses needing done!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Ouch I've cracked ribs on site before , tripped over a threshold that was 4" high and landed on my sanding pole
    Thats a sore one BM, youll feel it when boxing. And using your bazooka. And finishing angles, and.............. You get the picture!

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

Ouch I've cracked ribs on site before , tripped over a threshold that was 4" high and landed on my sanding pole
    Thats a sore one BM, youll feel it when boxing. And using your bazooka. And finishing angles, and.............. You get the picture!
    Was putting coving up today,not 2 good!!!!
    But just have 2 get on we it I suppose!!! I don't do the boxin E.K But I will b running the gun the morn!! That should b fun!(NOT)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Internet pint says you have a trapped nerve! first time I had this was just as you...pulling a box up the joint and felt like someone stabbed me in the back!

I now have a deep tissue back, neck and shoulder massage once a month and touch wood have not had a problem since.
    "YOUR PRIUS JUST SAVED ALL THE PETROL MY MUSTANG USED!"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to saleen836 For This Useful Post:

E.K Taper (10-05-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Cheers Saleen, you could be on to something there! I got back to work on Tuesday so it's not bad just now, a wee bit discomfort but it's not slowed me down.
    Next time I will go to docs and if it is indeed a trapped nerve, a cyber pint is on its way!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Cheers Saleen, you could be on to something there! I got back to work on Tuesday so it's not bad just now, a wee bit discomfort but it's not slowed me down.
    Next time I will go to docs and if it is indeed a trapped nerve, a cyber pint is on its way!
    I have never bothered with a doctor, the thought of being told..."rest and take pain killers" is a waste of a hour of my time, a little tip for you however is to stretch by hanging from something like a trap hatch or scaffold pole. This opens up the spine enough to release a nerve that is slightly pinched, remeber though that if you have had a pinched nerve for a couple of days when it releases it will still be sore for a few days. If you lay flat on the floor keep both legs straight and lift both at same time from the waist, this is a good indicator of the above problem.
    "YOUR PRIUS JUST SAVED ALL THE PETROL MY MUSTANG USED!"

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saleen836 For This Useful Post:

amestaper (11-05-2014), E.K Taper (11-05-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by saleen836 View Post
    I have never bothered with a doctor, the thought of being told..."rest and take pain killers" is a waste of a hour of my time, a little tip for you however is to stretch by hanging from something like a trap hatch or scaffold pole. This opens up the spine enough to release a nerve that is slightly pinched, remeber though that if you have had a pinched nerve for a couple of days when it releases it will still be sore for a few days. If you lay flat on the floor keep both legs straight and lift both at same time from the waist, this is a good indicator of the above problem.
    Interestingly I never once had this problem while on the tools but have had it twice since I switched to a desk job. My pyshio mentioned the lay flat on the floor method, but not hanging so thanks for that.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by saleen836 View Post
    Saleen I'm on a Barratt site , I feel like hanging myself from a scaffold every fecking day
    But i know what you mean.
    A builder i know has a contraption that he stands on, straps his ankles in then flips the thing over so he is hanging upside down by his feet. Completely stretches the back and helps with things like trapped nerves etc.Think i'll go round for a shot!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

A lot of pro golfers hang upside down to ease back pain, seve was doing it from the age of 21 might be something in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

It's good to know that I'm not the only one with a mucked up spine!!! My left shoulder blew out on me 2 months ago ...Just getting over that!
    Gotta love this trade!!!!

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I know this sounds like a lot of crap but warm the body by doing a few WARM UP EXCERCISES. before you get stuck in. How can you go from 0 to 100 miles an hour with no damage. My aches used to be gone on a Saturday but now take a least a week to go if I dont work but thats age and me good looks.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I got tennis elbow once and I dont play. The Dr. said rest the firm said Fu.. off then so went to work loaded up on pills just so I did not let anyone fill my job as when your gone your gone and they only come back when they are stuck. Then I could not even lift my arm to put my key in the ignition, went to A&E they gave me some pain killers and in the morning Hey presto the pain was 90% gone. Why could the Dr. of not given me them.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Bent down to pick a brush up about 10 years ago and my back went into spasm and collapsed on the floor. Got diagnosed as sciatica and just could not work for 9 weeks. Believe it or not, in that time the morgage went out 3 times and 2 of those weeks were xmas and new year. Had a good year up to then, but ended up borrowing to see us through ffs....good job we got n it lol....

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

my neck and shoulders"go" at least 3 times a year, if im doing high ceilings and looking up all the time thats it, "pop" agony for about 2 weeks, and the government want us to work till were 70.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Not many of us will make it to 70 tbh, a wee taper that worked with us up until Christmas went to the big building site in the sky last week. He was only 60 too

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Lets all get the M.P. on a 12 box on a 3 meter and above ceilings for a week them get them to calculate how long they could be a taper. Just a thought.

Getting the hang of this wallpaul's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

well instead of listing everything that's fucked......if i was a horse i'd be shot!!!

Thread Information