Visit Belmore Tools online shop

Other stuff. Everything else unrelated to building site chat.

Season Ticket Holder belmoreboy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

Default Yes or No - In or Out ??!!??

drywallschool.com

Probably sticking my neck out here as i know there are plenty of very Proud Scotsman (& women) on here but i really just wanted to know your thoughts on upcoming referendum!

For us a a company based in England we value our Scottish business very highly and up until a year or so ago we were very close to opening a supply solution (trade counter/shop) in Scotland.

In the present situation with the Referendum looming we are unable to commit to this as we would be unsure of the legal complications involved with a set up in an Independent Scotland.

Our current concern is the difficulties we could face if Scotland becomes independent with regard to deliveries as they would all be classed (for tax purposes) as Exports the same as they are in Southern Ireland/ France / Germany / Guernsey etc etc.

From our experience supplying these countries they only seem to attract more paperwork and of course this means more costs - why should Scotland pay more for delivery than England/Wales and N Ireland???! We have worked our socks off over the last few years to make sure our Scottish friends pay the same as our next door neighbours.

Further worry for me would be the currency - if different - we will have to re issue duplicate paperwork for every order produced and also adjust and re code our websites to allow for a new currency = more work = more costs = less profits to reinvest for the expansion of Belmore, possibly leading to increased prices and more importantly less money in my back pocket !!!

Still don't seem to be able to get the correct info we need for our business if Scotland becomes independent.

Apologies im waffling here ! Just wondered how everyone else on T & J forum feel about it all.

Never one to bring politics onto the building site but just want to make sure we can keep supplying our dedicated and hard working customers with tools and materials for many years to come.
    The Uk's No 1 Drylining & Plastering Tool Store
    01603 787464
    http://www.belmoretools.co.uk
    Skype - Facebook - Twitter - Blogger = belmoretools

Check Out http://www.SheetrockDirect.com Buy Sheetrock Products Online !

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by belmoreboy View Post
    Probably sticking my neck out here as i know there are plenty of very Proud Scotsman (& women) on here but i really just wanted to know your thoughts on upcoming referendum!

For us a a company based in England we value our Scottish business very highly and up until a year or so ago we were very close to opening a supply solution (trade counter/shop) in Scotland.

In the present situation with the Referendum looming we are unable to commit to this as we would be unsure of the legal complications involved with a set up in an Independent Scotland.

Our current concern is the difficulties we could face if Scotland becomes independent with regard to deliveries as they would all be classed (for tax purposes) as Exports the same as they are in Southern Ireland/ France / Germany / Guernsey etc etc.

From our experience supplying these countries they only seem to attract more paperwork and of course this means more costs - why should Scotland pay more for delivery than England/Wales and N Ireland???! We have worked our socks off over the last few years to make sure our Scottish friends pay the same as our next door neighbours.

Further worry for me would be the currency - if different - we will have to re issue duplicate paperwork for every order produced and also adjust and re code our websites to allow for a new currency = more work = more costs = less profits to reinvest for the expansion of Belmore, possibly leading to increased prices and more importantly less money in my back pocket !!!

Still don't seem to be able to get the correct info we need for our business if Scotland becomes independent.

Apologies im waffling here ! Just wondered how everyone else on T & J forum feel about it all.

Never one to bring politics onto the building site but just want to make sure we can keep supplying our dedicated and hard working customers with tools and materials for many years to come.
    I will b sunning myself elsewhere for a couple of weeks so I will leave it up 2 the rest of u guys!
    B as drunk I wont know whats going on anyway!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

I've avoided politics on here but seeing as you asked my opinion, it's a yes vote from me and (most) of my immediate family. Dont believe all the ghost story shite you hear in the media from the Better Together campaign Marcus, independence for Scotland will be a good thing. I reckon it will be a close vote, fingers crossed as i got 5/1 from Ladbrokes.

I just hope Scotland keeps the peace after the result as the campaigns and disagreement are becoming more animated.

I spotted this on Youtube earlier so hope you dont mind me sharing?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pZgu0Kich...layer_embedded
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

NO, far too much uncertainty so i'll be voting with my head rather than my heart.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

What are the pluses of going independent. I couldn't be further away so it's not something I've followed, but it's seems like there'd be way more negatives that positives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prjwebb View Post
    What are the pluses of going independent. I couldn't be further away so it's not something I've followed, but it's seems like there'd be way more negatives that positives.
    Lots of plusses, all the negativity is coming from the No campaign.

http://worldofstuart.excellentconten...ileEdition.pdf
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Its a yes from me

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Well boys, whatever happens tomorrow, I wish you well, and hope that which way the vote goes it turns out well for Scotland
    my personal feelings are that I hope you stay with us

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Brian S For This Useful Post:

E.K Taper (17-09-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Well done to both sides, I haven't seen the % of people that turned out, would hope that it was a 100%

I was hoping the split ( yes or no win) would be a lot greater than the 55 to 45, as it stands now Scotland is a divided nation, I just hope those hard liners on the yes side don't start causing problems up there

On a personal note, glad your still with us lads

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I heard it was 87%ish turn out of voters. Pretty decent number

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
    I just hope those hard liners on the yes side don't start causing problems up there
    Eh? The referendum process was trouble free until last night, in fact I would go as far to say it was really good natured. If you want to read some unbiased journalism, I recommend the foreign media or look up the facts yourself on the internet.

This is George Sq Glasgow last night. http://www.buzzfeed.com/alanwhite/po...nfront#3xntjs5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

I didn't expect this topic to be mentioned on the site and I don't want political differences to sour any good relationships. My same thoughts apply to religion as well.

If anyone has any final thoughts, I suggest you make your comments today as I plan to lock this thread tonight.

I only hope Scotland can manage to get along together and behave ourselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

E
    Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    I didn't expect this topic to be mentioned on the site and I don't want political differences to sour any good relationships. My same thoughts apply to religion as well.

If anyone has any final thoughts, I suggest you make your comments today as I plan to lock this thread tonight.

I only hope Scotland can manage to get along together and behave ourselves.
    I hope so to Alex, all I can see ( at the moment ) that this vote has done is cause a divided nation
    i think that had it not been Salmond and all that flag waving fervour, but a person or team with rational ideas and policies, I think the yes campaign would of won hands down

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

This is my genuine opinion on the matter.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUHDVxqVpCA

Thread Information