Thread: Dry Taper

Automatic and hand tools, sanders, stilts etc. What's hot and what's not.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Default Dry Taper

There is a machine called a Dry Taper made by CanAm which applies paper tape after you mucked up the internal using your chosen method, mud runner, tube, roller etc, It looks like a bazooka without the tube. I tried to make one a while back to no avail and had a conversation with Marcus about it, I think I even started a thread on hear about it.

Has any one got one or used one, does it work or not.

look here:- http://www.canamtool.com/products/dry-taper/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

not seen that befor but I used to work with a guy who used his zook dry. I layed up with tube he put tape in. was quicker and better than loading the zook. (braced for slagging off).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    There is a machine called a Dry Taper made by CanAm which applies paper tape after you mucked up the internal using your chosen method, mud runner, tube, roller etc, It looks like a bazooka without the tube. I tried to make one a while back to no avail and had a conversation with Marcus about it, I think I even started a thread on hear about it.

Has any one got one or used one, does it work or not.

look here:- http://www.canamtool.com/products/dry-taper/

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

How can loading a tube, applying the compound, then running the zook be quicker than loading the zook and applying the compound and tape at the same time?

Not slagging off haha, just can't see how adding a whole extra person and process can be considered quicker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

well I would not do it if I was on my own but with me on the tube I can lay up a floor of a three bed in about two min easy including filling the tube. the guy using the zook, not having to load it with pump(messing about with pump.) no cleaning of zook and making life easy for him with no weight. ad to that to fact u can put them up with easy fill and flush using 3.5 then finish same day with 3" leaving perfect corner zero edge. not only quick simple and stress free but also got more options in regard to jc or setting compound. so agree or not it happened... works and is quick as.
    Quote Originally Posted by prjwebb View Post
    How can loading a tube, applying the compound, then running the zook be quicker than loading the zook and applying the compound and tape at the same time?

Not slagging off haha, just can't see how adding a whole extra person and process can be considered quicker.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prjwebb View Post

It wouldn't be quicker but it might be cheaper and deffo not as technical as a bazooka, Its aimed at people who don't like the bazooka. IMO the bazooka is an over engineered piece of kit made to complete the automatic tool package, its fiddly trouble some and requires a lot of maintenance.

Its just an alternative ok

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Don't get me wrong I've got nothing against the dry taper. Looks very useful. I was just surprised that Thomas said that method was faster.

I'm pretty new to the bazooka but I've found it pretty straight forward and trouble free so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

well when I say faster I mean for two guys, the synergy that is offered for the above mentioned method allows for a high work potential. I can understand why u cant see it, most of the tapers on hear would agree with you. if you were to witness me working on my own or with the guy mentioned in the internal debate you would understand. that will never happen so every time I say what can be done and how quick no one will understand and will conclude I am wrong or full of shit. oh well. I could say what I am getting done at the moment and how quick thinking you will all then believe me but you wont u will just dismiss it saying I must be doing a shit job and talking out of my arse... why I bother is the question. just trying to share and help one another...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

How much are they, Dillon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

have a word with the folks @dryling supplies they sell canam.
    Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    How much are they, Dillon?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thomas.savage For This Useful Post:

E.K Taper (05-11-2014)

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

I don't know the price but something occurred to me today whilst on my stilts hand feeding paper tape behind my mate with a syringe..."How does this dry taper get that little dob of mud on the end of the tape that you need where the three ends meet in the top corner" Im sure you know what I mean when doing it by hand you just dip the end in some excess mud. How ever having said that I could have done with one today it would be much easier if not on my stilts.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    I don't know the price but something occurred to me today whilst on my stilts hand feeding paper tape behind my mate with a syringe..."How does this dry taper get that little dob of mud on the end of the tape that you need where the three ends meet in the top corner" Im sure you know what I mean when doing it by hand you just dip the end in some excess mud. How ever having said that I could have done with one today it would be much easier if not on my stilts.
    If ur rolling the tapes the excess compound will push into the corner no probs!
    Also depends on the corner thing u r using I suppose! Not that I do a lot of it just for sh*t that's been changed!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thomas.savage View Post
    have a word with the folks @dryling supplies they sell canam.
    thanks Thomas, I've been on their site but don't see the drytaper among the CanAm tools. I will email them about it
    Cheers

Thread Information