Thread: Hi

New members. Please say hello and introduce yourself here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Hi

Hi all,
    I'm not a dryliner, I'm actually a decorator in Somerset but I'm currently renovating a property which I am drylining, I've literally only done a couple of ceilings before this house and this house is roughly 200 boards so it's going to be interesting! One good thing is I know how to sort out any cock ups I make as I've followed a lot of rough work I'm used to filling large areas etc I've done a fair bit of artex in the past so although it's not the same I'm fairly used to taping etc too

I've boarded 4 or 5 ceilings so far and tbh I'm struggling a little with getting the joints nice & tight on one ceiling, foolishly the first board was put up slightly out of square which was making hard work later on. In fact I nearly threw my dolls out the pram and ripped it all down to start again when I realised what I'd done!

Never mind, the taper will sort it out (me)

I've got a good mix of timber stud and dot & dab insulated boards to do so I've got a few things to get my head round like mesh or paper tape, horizontal or vertical boards etc. I was reading DWT regularly but I really struggle to understand what they're talking about with their slang etc hence joining here.

Thanks

Rayner

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rayner View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm not a dryliner, I'm actually a decorator in Somerset but I'm currently renovating a property which I am drylining, I've literally only done a couple of ceilings before this house and this house is roughly 200 boards so it's going to be interesting! One good thing is I know how to sort out any cock ups I make as I've followed a lot of rough work I'm used to filling large areas etc I've done a fair bit of artex in the past so although it's not the same I'm fairly used to taping etc too

I've boarded 4 or 5 ceilings so far and tbh I'm struggling a little with getting the joints nice & tight on one ceiling, foolishly the first board was put up slightly out of square which was making hard work later on. In fact I nearly threw my dolls out the pram and ripped it all down to start again when I realised what I'd done!

Never mind, the taper will sort it out (me)

I've got a good mix of timber stud and dot & dab insulated boards to do so I've got a few things to get my head round like mesh or paper tape, horizontal or vertical boards etc. I was reading DWT regularly but I really struggle to understand what they're talking about with their slang etc hence joining here.

Thanks

Rayner
    I would prefill the joints with setting compound if joints r not the best!(Gaps in boards)
    Also I would use paper tape as that's all I use but others will say dif that's for sure!
    Have fun!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Beermonster For This Useful Post:

Rayner (19-11-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

umm.. a job that size u kind of want to be knowing what ur doing first dont u think! best advice would be get a top boarder to dab and screw then by all means tape ur self. if u got time and follow a few simple rules u cant fuck it too bad and if it is bad not so hard to re do. knocking off plaster board on the other hand would be nightmare. i work in taunton area ur welcom to pop in for some pointers on the tape n j side of things.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thomas.savage For This Useful Post:

Rayner (19-11-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Beermonster View Post
    I would prefill the joints with setting compound if joints r not the best!(Gaps in boards)
    Also I would use paper tape as that's all I use but others will say dif that's for sure!
    Have fun!!
    Cheers matey,
    Yep, sounds about right, everyone does things differently which can be a nightmare when you're new to something! I've only ever used paper so tbh I'll probably go with that, just wasn't sure if mesh was better in certain situations or something.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas.savage View Post
    umm.. a job that size u kind of want to be knowing what ur doing first dont u think! best advice would be get a top boarder to dab and screw then by all means tape ur self. if u got time and follow a few simple rules u cant fuck it too bad and if it is bad not so hard to re do. knocking off plaster board on the other hand would be nightmare. i work in taunton area ur welcom to pop in for some pointers on the tape n j side of things.
    I know what you mean and if it was a paid job I wouldn't even consider it as a first project, I'm not the quickest at boarding that's for sure!

What I should have said is that this is a house I'm renovating to sell, time isn't an issue for me, I'm quite well ahead of schedule so I really want to do everything I can, I'm not inundated with my professional work at the moment so it makes sense to take the opportunity to get on and learn. 3 builder friends have offered to do as much or as little boarding as I want any of them to do and at least 2 of them do a good job. If I do struggle I'll give one of them a shout or at least try to get one in and labour on him to get to grips with it properly. One of my labourers says he's done a lot of dot & dab so if needs be I'll ask him to do a small room and see if I'm happy with it. Thankfully I'm not up that creek totally on my own also if work gets manic busy I'll hand over the boarding and other things too.

Yeah I think taping & jointing will be fine tbh as I do a lot of similar sort of work, it's just the technical side of it I need to get my head round. It's 3m ceilings too just to add to the fun.

I'll get some pics up for you all to have a giggle once boarded. Thanks for the offer, I may well have to take you up on it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rayner For This Useful Post:

Beermonster (20-11-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Hi Rayner welcome to the forum!
    The main thing for you is to get the boarding right. After that the taping will be easier. Any probs then come back on and ask away.
    Good Luck,

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to E.K Taper For This Useful Post:

Rayner (21-11-2014), thestraightstory (14-02-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you go on to ant if the three board manufactures web site they have good guide on how to do things.
    So that's Siniat, knaufdrywall ir Britush Gypsum.
    Remember all insulation board must have two fixings in external walls that's screw fix or hammer nail and bonding.
    Ps paper tape your joints is the correct way mesh tape had become the quick and easy way to do it but you still might get cracking with mesh tape as it doesn't allow enough filler through sometimes to the joint.
    Good luck.
    Walls and Ceilings in Bristol very good company who can supply all you need for the job

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ribhand For This Useful Post:

Rayner (23-11-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ribhand View Post
    If you go on to ant if the three board manufactures web site they have good guide on how to do things.
    So that's Siniat, knaufdrywall ir Britush Gypsum.
    Remember all insulation board must have two fixings in external walls that's screw fix or hammer nail and bonding.
    Ps paper tape your joints is the correct way mesh tape had become the quick and easy way to do it but you still might get cracking with mesh tape as it doesn't allow enough filler through sometimes to the joint.
    Good luck.
    Walls and Ceilings in Bristol very good company who can supply all you need for the job
    Thanks, haven't looked at them, I've just been going off what people have told me on jobs, I'll have to have a look.

Oh no, not another tool shop! hadn't heard of them before. Thanks.

On that subject, I'm not looking to get all the gear to make everything super quick because it'll not get used enough after this to warrant having it tbh (I'm not doing a complete renovation as big as this again, its a killer!) but is there anything that is a massive time saver that you lads would buy even for doing say one drylining job a year? I don't mind spending money to make things quicker but I don't want to spend thousands on tools I'm not going to use very often. A mixer for adhesive seems like a must from reading around?

This might be better in a separate thread of course

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

Thanks, haven't looked at them, I've just been going off what people have told me on jobs, I'll have to have a look.

Oh no, not another tool shop! hadn't heard of them before. Thanks.

On that subject, I'm not looking to get all the gear to make everything super quick because it'll not get used enough after this to warrant having it tbh (I'm not doing a complete renovation as big as this again, its a killer!) but is there anything that is a massive time saver that you lads would buy even for doing say one drylining job a year? I don't mind spending money to make things quicker but I don't want to spend thousands on tools I'm not going to use very often. A mixer for adhesive seems like a must from reading around?

This might be better in a separate thread of course
    Banjo,corner roller,flusher or angle head
    That will speed things up and get u a better finish!
    U could go the boxes route but I don't think its worth it!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Beermonster For This Useful Post:

Rayner (24-11-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Banjo,corner roller,flusher or angle head
    That will speed things up and get u a better finish!
    U could go the boxes route but I don't think its worth it!
    Thanks, just the sort of advice I was looking for

When we used to do a lot if Artex we always wetted the tapes, doesn't seem to be the case now? Tbh I can't even remember the reason but when we used it dry it seemed to bubble in places?

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

Thanks, just the sort of advice I was looking for

When we used to do a lot if Artex we always wetted the tapes, doesn't seem to be the case now? Tbh I can't even remember the reason but when we used it dry it seemed to bubble in places?
    Wetting the tape won't do much good except if ur not fast enough when applying it! That's maybe why u get the bubbles!
    Put plenty on when applying the tape and make sure ur filler is thin!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Beermonster For This Useful Post:

Rayner (24-11-2014)

Season Ticket Holder belmoreboy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

Wet n stick tape is actually very good product - too expensive to use everyday use but awesome for the odd job
    The Uk's No 1 Drylining & Plastering Tool Store
    01603 787464
    http://www.belmoretools.co.uk
    Skype - Facebook - Twitter - Blogger = belmoretools

Check Out http://www.SheetrockDirect.com Buy Sheetrock Products Online !

19. The Following User Says Thank You to belmoreboy For This Useful Post:

Rayner (24-11-2014)

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Fibafuse is a good option too. I was really impressed with that.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to prjwebb For This Useful Post:

Rayner (24-11-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wetting the tape won't do much good except if ur not fast enough when applying it! That's maybe why u get the bubbles!
    Put plenty on when applying the tape and make sure ur filler is thin!
    Eye eye captain.
    Cheers, now you say that I think we were putting the filler on too many joints before going back and taping. Oh well, you live & learn.

Thread Information