Results 1 to 12 of 12

Need a tradesman? Want an apprentice? Post your ad here.

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    hamilton
    Posts
    2
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default reliable tapers numbers wanted


    .li have work coming up in perth , alloa and lothian
    all new build

    machine tapers ( inc bazooka ) with machine sander wanted
    must work to a high standard
    decent rates of pay

    pm me for details etc if intrested

    thanks
    andy

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    9
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Not being funny mate but if you want a high standard of work you would be better off with hand tapers .

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    hamilton
    Posts
    2
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    not being funny mate but could you explain why this is ?


    did i mention the rates we're 1.50 sqm & 1.50 lm labour only

  4. #4
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    196
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    35
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by topspec View Post
    Not being funny mate but if you want a high standard of work you would be better off with hand tapers .
    Interesting ... After all these years machine taping, I now know that I could have done such I better job if I'd not bothered spending on all that kit. Now let me think back to all those hand taping jobs I have seen , were they ALL so superior....lol

  5. #5
    VIP TonyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,337
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    52
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    188
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andybh1982 View Post
    not being funny mate but could you explain why this is ?


    did i mention the rates we're 1.50 sqm & 1.50 lm labour only
    Decent rates? Where's the job......1985?

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    9
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Exactly my point. Those tools are a big waste of money and time. If you had any real skill you wouldn't need a machine to do it for you lol

  7. #7
    VIP TonyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,337
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    52
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    188
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

  8. #8
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    196
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    35
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by topspec View Post
    Exactly my point. Those tools are a big waste of money and time. If you had any real skill you wouldn't need a machine to do it for you lol
    Have you used all the taping kit available and not just for a day or so ?

    Do you see chippies using hammers to put roofs on, boarders using loose screws rather than collated,trenches being dug by hand,etc...if something speeds you up on price you use it.

    As for having "real skill" until you have seen my work and the way I use my tools,you cant make that judgement can you ?

    The finished job,by hand or machine, is the test of your ability or skill as you like to put it. By showing you think its a waste of time and money makes me think you are speaking out your arse to be quite honest.

    Your entitled to your opinion......that's mine.

  9. #9
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    196
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    35
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Decent rates? Where's the job......1985?
    That is one of the funniest things I have read in ages

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to forestbhoy For This Useful Post:

    TonyM (15-05-2015)

  11. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    9
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    I respect your opinion but here's mine. After 28 years in the trade,,last 15 as a jointer I have used a machine on a few occasions when we have been asked to,it soon ended up back in its box as its so slow and messy,it would have gone in the skip if it wasn't on hire lol
    I've never seen a decent machine finish that would change my mind since. I guarantee we would beat any machine for speed and quality of work and this is a fact as we have done it time and again, that's my opinion. Oh and I wouldn't be working for no 1.50 a meter what a joke lol

  12. #11
    VIP TonyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,337
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    52
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    188
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by topspec View Post
    I respect your opinion but here's mine. After 28 years in the trade,,last 15 as a jointer I have used a machine on a few occasions when we have been asked to,it soon ended up back in its box as its so slow and messy,it would have gone in the skip if it wasn't on hire lol
    I've never seen a decent machine finish that would change my mind since. I guarantee we would beat any machine for speed and quality of work and this is a fact as we have done it time and again, that's my opinion. Oh and I wouldn't be working for no 1.50 a meter what a joke lol
    Messy? You obviously didn't give them a chance. If you were trying to learn how to use the tools while on a price or up against it time wise, then I can understand why you didn't persevere with them. I tried to learn to use a bazooka on a job that was behind, and put it away again after half an hour. Obviously thousands upon thousands of machine tapers must be wrong.

  13. #12
    VIP E.K Taper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    East Kilbride, Glasgow
    Posts
    1,390
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    387
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    200
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Decent rates? Where's the job......1985?
    BOOM!! Headshot!
    Lol

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Reliable tapers needed, coventry
    By mik mpd in forum Need a tradesman?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-08-2016, 04:07 AM
  2. Tapers / Decorators wanted - central belt Scotland
    By Hardgate in forum Painting and decorating
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-04-2016, 03:56 PM
  3. Reliable tapers needed
    By mik mpd in forum Need a tradesman?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-05-2014, 07:24 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 17-02-2014, 07:02 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •