Our marketplace. Forum members can buy, swap, or sell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Free tiling course

Hi lads

just wondering if any of you multi trade like me... ?

im a plasterer, scaffolder, taper, plumber (basics, not gas) and tiler...

Not sure if anyone would be interested but I'm thinking of doing a free tiling demonstration day at my warehouse. Very informal, just turn up and ask any questions u want...

My mate will supply tea and butties. I may be able to get a discount from suppliers for tools etc such as Ruby cutters.

if anyone's interested just let me know, Sheffield based

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cassie For This Useful Post:

amestaper (09-06-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Or if people are interested , we could maybe have a tiling section...

questions and answers type thing...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

There is one www.tapingandjointing.com/forum/forums/38-Tiling-and-flooring

It was just moved from the front page because the forum was getting dusty.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to amestaper For This Useful Post:

cassie (10-06-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks buddy. Do you do any other trades mate?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

I'm off the tools now and currently bang my head on a desk for a living. We used to do taping, painting and plastering just to keep busy.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to amestaper For This Useful Post:

cassie (10-06-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    I'm off the tools now and currently bang my head on a desk for a living. We used to do taping, painting and plastering just to keep busy.

I know how you feel pall, for me tapings not a trade, any monkey can do it, bit like painting. Can't understand why people don't insist on plastering, proper trade....
    Ah well, tomorrow's another day ...

Season Ticket Holder belmoreboy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cassie View Post
    I know how you feel pall, for me tapings not a trade, any monkey can do it, bit like painting. Can't understand why people don't insist on plastering, proper trade....
    Ah well, tomorrow's another day ...
    Hmmm let's see what the regular T& J forum members think of this statement! (I smell a storm coming of the brown variety)
    The Uk's No 1 Drylining & Plastering Tool Store
    01603 787464
    http://www.belmoretools.co.uk
    Skype - Facebook - Twitter - Blogger = belmoretools

Check Out http://www.SheetrockDirect.com Buy Sheetrock Products Online !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

The statement is partly correct, i remember 30 odd years ago British Gypsum trained you for for a week and hired you a machine............and plasterers would attempt it by hand, well we thought it was easy...........only thing is we never really knew how exactly to leave a pristine finish, though i'm sure we thought we did..........think i'md be slightly embarrassed if i could see it now..............and then painters started and plasterers labourers and now almost anyone can pick up a trowel or a filling knife and call themselves a taper, so in theory anyone can do it..............but not everyone has been trained how to leave a smooth seamless finish, machine taping is at least a way of trying to standardise the finish...........plastering on the other hand does in theory give you a certain quality of finish.............but the question is, is a plastered wall better than a taped wall if there both done to a high standard? Well i've been asked this before and they both have there pros and cons............from a minimum distance of 5 feet there is almost no perceivable difference, in the finish, the differences only show when a light is shone across the walls/ceilings..........with taping it may highlight the different texture between taping materials and the plasterboard, a drywall primer coat can minimise this as well as combating tapings other deficiency being less hard wearing, by forming a hard film to help uniformity and and ease the removal of wallpaper at a later date............plastering on the other hand, though being accredited with being harder wearing, i'm not sure under normal living conditions, there are any practical benefits, if it gets a hard knock it will damage anyway, a light shone across it does/ will highlight minute ripples and imperfections, in my opinion even more noticeable than on a tapped surface, so in summation both have there imperfections for me tapping is equally as good as plastering and certainly quicker so if it were my house it would be taped
    Last edited by rabbyc; 14-06-2015 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rabbyc For This Useful Post:

amestaper (14-06-2015)

Season Ticket Holder belmoreboy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rabbyc View Post
    The statement is partly correct, i remember 30 odd years ago British Gypsum trained you for for a week and hired you a machine............and plasterers would attempt it by hand, well we thought it was easy...........only thing is we never really knew how exactly to leave a pristine finish, though i'm sure we thought we did..........think i'md be slightly embarrassed if i could see it now..............and then painters started and plasterers labourers and now almost anyone can pick up a trowel or a filling knife and call themselves a taper, so in theory anyone can do it..............but not everyone has been trained how to leave a smooth seamless finish, machine taping is at least a way of trying to standardise the finish...........plastering on the other hand does in theory give you a certain quality of finish.............but the question is, is a plastered wall better than a taped wall if there both done to a high standard? Well i've been asked this before and they both have there pros and cons............from a minimum distance of 5 feet there is almost no perceivable difference, in the finish, the differences only show when a light is shone across the walls/ceilings..........with taping it may highlight the different texture between taping materials and the plasterboard, a drywall primer coat can minimise this as well as combating tapings other deficiency being less hard wearing, by forming a hard film to help uniformity and and ease the removal of wallpaper at a later date............plastering on the other hand, though being accredited with being harder wearing, i'm not sure under normal living conditions, there are any practical benefits, if it gets a hard knock it will damage anyway, a light shone across it does/ will highlight minute ripples and imperfections, in my opinion even more noticeable than on a tapped surface, so in summation both have there imperfections for me tapping is equally as good as plastering and certainly quicker so if it were my house it would be taped
    Great analysis !

It's a debate thats been going on for years and youve picked up on all the plus and minus points of both finishes!

My biggest gripe with plastering is why fully finish a 99% perfect faced plasterboard sheet - the quality of baord nowadays is very good, maybe years ago not so.

Also i see so many newly plastered walls (especially above door heads) hairline crack - it seems to be "accepted" that this will happen with movement and settlement of new house, but why do we accept this?!

Very rarely do you see a taped house with "hairline" cracks due to the nature of the joint compound and it's flexible properies.

Still struggle to get my head around main contractors having modern day timber/steel framed biuildings skimmed, they will always move and the plaster will give.

I'm obviously slighltly biased towards taping as it has always been my trade but it's great to see a few more plasteres on here now adding to a great community and some spicy debates!
    The Uk's No 1 Drylining & Plastering Tool Store
    01603 787464
    http://www.belmoretools.co.uk
    Skype - Facebook - Twitter - Blogger = belmoretools

Check Out http://www.SheetrockDirect.com Buy Sheetrock Products Online !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

That's another point plaster may actually crack more.................and years down the line could actually de laminate from the plasterboard...........i've seen loads of council houses where i've had to re apply the finishing coat to whole rooms as it came off the straightening coat when wallpaper was removed............guessing decades down the line plasterboard may do the same............full sheets should be used round door openings or at least joint should be moved to centre of door head..........some sites insist upon it! to minimise cracking.................site i'm on has duraline boards and the screws are causing a burring everywhere.......ffin 25mm screws.........maybe plastering has got benefits then......but i doubt it!
    I can't think of many Scottish builders that plaster walls though in Ireland it's probably more 60/40 plastering for some strange reason....!

Thread Information