Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flex-ge-5-r

Automatic and hand tools, sanders, stilts etc. What's hot and what's not.

Getting the hang of this wallpaul's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Default Flex-ge-5-r

Anyone used 1 of these sanders yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wallpaul View Post
    Anyone used 1 of these sanders yet?
    The firm i am currently doing work for are using them, they dont have many positive things to say about them. Much preferred the older model.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Used one of these sanders yesterday, cant say i was overly impressed. Didnt like the trigger as opposed to a straight forward on/off switch, i know you can lock it in a on position but prefer the old style. Whilst doing internals far easier to move the sander right to left, going the other way was resulting in vibrations the would shake your fillings loose. Wasnt to heavy, comfortably able to complete a decent size ceiling in one go. Personally didnt think it was very powerful,even at full power. To get the straight edge onto each corner meant having to stop and manually rotate the head to the required position, absolute pain in the nuts, this was a new sander so it may free up over time but right now it sux. Certainly wont be rushing out to purchase one any time soon.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DMC For This Useful Post:

amestaper (21-01-2016), wallpaul (21-01-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Think i'll hold off for a bit! cheers dmc
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC View Post
    Used one of these sanders yesterday, cant say i was overly impressed. Didnt like the trigger as opposed to a straight forward on/off switch, i know you can lock it in a on position but prefer the old style. Whilst doing internals far easier to move the sander right to left, going the other way was resulting in vibrations the would shake your fillings loose. Wasnt to heavy, comfortably able to complete a decent size ceiling in one go. Personally didnt think it was very powerful,even at full power. To get the straight edge onto each corner meant having to stop and manually rotate the head to the required position, absolute pain in the nuts, this was a new sander so it may free up over time but right now it sux. Certainly wont be rushing out to purchase one any time soon.

Season Ticket Holder belmoreboy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

Hi DMC not sure where it was purchased from byt sounds very much like it doesnt have the thin interface pad on the from of the baking pad before the disc, without one of these if too much pressure is applied the sander will vibrate like crazy, In europe they dont tend to have this issue as most use the padded discs (Flex joest useit etc) very expensive discs but they are padded enough to sit inline ot just proud of the brush skirt (no pushing necessary to touch the joint surface)
    Maybe you could check to see if it ahs the interface pad if not im sure we can arrange for one to be sent through to you.
    So far we have had good reviews of the ge5 and ge5r more thubs up ofr the ge5 as the ge5 r can chuck a bit of extra dust through the side opening but tis can be reduced considerably by using different grae abrasive t usual spec on closed head design.
    The Uk's No 1 Drylining & Plastering Tool Store
    01603 787464
    http://www.belmoretools.co.uk
    Skype - Facebook - Twitter - Blogger = belmoretools

Check Out http://www.SheetrockDirect.com Buy Sheetrock Products Online !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

just got the new ge 5 sander(round head only) and im very impressed with it.
    tried it with the thicker pads without interface,with interface,but the way to go is the with the interface and thinner pads,just glides along leaving a lovely job, and that is on bg bagged velvet.
    had old giraffe over 10 years and this 1 is as fast if not faster with the 6 speed dial on it as opposed to 5, and that was working of my genny.
    its lighter and more comfortable to handle and with the padded carry bag with inserts to hold sander and 3 large pockets in the side that hold disks and masks and forum discount from Marcus, all adds up to a crackin deal.
    unless your getting a festool which is crazy money for a sander the ge 5 must be the best sander out there.
    just my tuppence worth.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to big g For This Useful Post:

belmoreboy (27-01-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

Good feedback big g !
    01603 787464

10. The Following User Says Thank You to belmoreboy For This Useful Post:

big g (27-01-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Had one of these on hire from Artex, absolute sh!te. Artex say there's a fault with them and they've been inundated with complaints. It seems it only works in the one direction, ie, if you're leading with the straight edge. If you change direction it shudders and doesn't sand anything. They say the round head flex is now obsolete, they've stopped making them and this new one is the way to go but seems they've got a bit of tinkering to do. I sanded 1 room and sent it back to them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

the round head ge 5 is the dogs bollocks ek,just sanded another large 4 bedder and it glides round whatever direction you want to go,if they have stopped making the round head they have shot themselves in the foot.
    to prove im not talking pish if you or dmc fancy doin a house with it let me know and will meet hafway between Irvine and EK and you can take it for a shift.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to big g For This Useful Post:

E.K Taper (08-02-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

They sent me a round head sander after I complained about the square edge one. Artex still have a load of them they hire out, but he did say they'd be replacing them in time with the square edge . Hope they sort the problem soon

Cheers for the offer big g

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Firm I'm working for just now are getting a load of complaints about the flex sanders, the round headed one was a lot better. Got my old ex sander up and running (cheers Marcus) I prefer it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just bought one of these yesterday off one of the lads who's decided to call quits on taping, sanded a town house today with it. it's much lighter than the flex wse500 and it seems like you have to use it differently can't really hold it side on and qlide it up and down the wall, you kinda use it like a sanding pole id that makes and sense. Was also getting judders when going against the spin, doing internals with it was a breeze might need to invest in the thin interface pad see if that fixes the judders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Just bought one of these yesterday off one of the lads who's decided to call quits on taping, sanded a town house today with it. it's much lighter than the flex wse500 and it seems like you have to use it differently can't really hold it side on and qlide it up and down the wall, you kinda use it like a sanding pole id that makes and sense. Was also getting judders when going against the spin, doing internals with it was a breeze might need to invest in the thin interface pad see if that fixes the judders.
    Its usually an interface issue when it judders and grabs too much
    01603 787464

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by belmoreboy View Post
    Its usually an interface issue when it judders and grabs too much
    Still waiting for the issue regarding brand new sander and vac to be resolved marcus!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

not keen on the engineering of the flex sanders , the skirt suspension is inadequate this can lead to uneven contact with the wall and ultimately damage to your job not to mention making the head harder to push and change direction on the wall, the soft foam backing pad is ill conceived as is the way it attaches to the sander and couple that with the drive shaft you're wasting a lot of energy and there is too much variation of load on the motor leading to spin speed and torque inconsistencies.

festool is the only well designed and well made sander on the market. yes the head is a little heavier but you soon get used to that. nothing does as good a job so quick and so consistently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Iv recently bought one of these Flex GE 5 and although at first I was a bit dubious about it . After doing 3 Houses with it I really like it . It toom me a bit to get used to it . I don't have the interface pad with mine so when I put the sander to the wall it doesn't do anything till I apply a little pressure .Took me a while to get the hang of that, as my old sander started abrupty and sometimes could tend to dig in to the boards . But after a bit of persevering I really like it . Its hooked up to the Flex VCE 35 L AC Drywall Vac 110v there's hardly any dust at all when sanding . Just the usual dust from doing internal corners and ingos by hand. Overall Very happy with both Products , My only gripe is that the Bags for the Hoover are quite expensive but such is life lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    Iv recently bought one of these Flex GE 5 and although at first I was a bit dubious about it . After doing 3 Houses with it I really like it . It toom me a bit to get used to it . I don't have the interface pad with mine so when I put the sander to the wall it doesn't do anything till I apply a little pressure .Took me a while to get the hang of that, as my old sander started abrupty and sometimes could tend to dig in to the boards . But after a bit of persevering I really like it . Its hooked up to the Flex VCE 35 L AC Drywall Vac 110v there's hardly any dust at all when sanding . Just the usual dust from doing internal corners and ingos by hand. Overall Very happy with both Products , My only gripe is that the Bags for the Hoover are quite expensive but such is life lol
    use the proper flex sanding disc that should boost it a bit, the head is not sprung in the correct way but if you take a old sanding disc put a hole in the middle and use it to raise the backing pad. Putting it between the sander head and your foam backing pad.

Just make sure you put a nice big hole in the middle of the disc so it sits back flat on the sander.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

buy the interface pad shiva,the sander glides along with no pressure,as long as u use the thinner sanding pads.i use the same sander and am delighted with it but needs the interface pad,i tried working it all ways but use it that way and its so easy and leaves a crackin job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by big g View Post
    buy the interface pad shiva,the sander glides along with no pressure,as long as u use the thinner sanding pads.i use the same sander and am delighted with it but needs the interface pad,i tried working it all ways but use it that way and its so easy and leaves a crackin job.
    Yea, that's a better idea but if you don't have it then do what I said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thx Guys . Got myself an Interface Pad . Yay .. What a Difference that's made lol . When you say the Proper Flex Dics Thomas.savage do you mean the Yellow ones with the perforations ? ( The one that came with it )

Thread Information