Thread: Boxing filler

Automatic and hand tools, sanders, stilts etc. What's hot and what's not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Default Boxing filler

Hi guys,

been boxing filler for for ceilings on some big units I have at the moment.

using a cheap level 5 7 inch, it's ok but don't open that well for loading and cleaning.

What makes of boxes and techniques are you guys using? What? And more importantly why?

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Ok here is my secret. I scrim up then do one big mix of G Tec trade, with this I do all ceiling but joints, door heads and windows heads and feet. Once that's on I cut all my angle then its breakfast time. Now that's gone off I mix two big buckets of filler and put it through my pump into a 7" box and working room by room do all ceiling long joints and wall joints, because all the but joints have set its just straight runs and very quick. as soon as all joints done I wash out pump and box using my pressure washer all ready set up outside just takes a few minutes then use up the remaining filler on angle bead.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dillon For This Useful Post:

thomas.savage (18-04-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    Ok here is my secret. I scrim up then do one big mix of G Tec trade, with this I do all ceiling but joints, door heads and windows heads and feet. Once that's on I cut all my angle then its breakfast time. Now that's gone off I mix two big buckets of filler and put it through my pump into a 7" box and working room by room do all ceiling long joints and wall joints, because all the but joints have set its just straight runs and very quick. as soon as all joints done I wash out pump and box using my pressure washer all ready set up outside just takes a few minutes then use up the remaining filler on angle bead.
    my problem is I am too fast coating up with a trowel. I bought a bucket trowel to load the flat boxes, it's super quick and easy on the 10" Columbia but the level 5 7" don't open wide at all so can't use this. The level 5 people are full of shit! They plainly lie saying their boxes open wide for easy cleaning but that's bullshit. I can hardly get my fingers in it never mind a brush, you can't load it by hand without fucking about, should just be two big dumps of the bucket trowel not 10 goes with a 6" knife getting very messy in the process.

i can't stand companies that bullshit about their products.

Might try the new maxx box by tape tech for coating up. Won't use a pump as I found it saves no time, just extra waste and cleaning.

If ceiling is low I am quicker coating up with my special curved blade trowel, but got shifty big, and high bloor units to do.

Bought a 5" drywall master box for topping nails lol

boxing is less effort no doubt.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Because I have my little pressure washer I don't have a problem using the pump or with a box that doesn't open very much. I do know a guy who puts filler through his pump then just submerges it in a water butt cleans the outside with a brush and pumps like crazy for a couple of minutes. He never splits it and recons he never gets any problems with it.
    Im not that brave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Because I have my little pressure washer I don't have a problem using the pump or with a box that doesn't open very much. I do know a guy who puts filler through his pump then just submerges it in a water butt cleans the outside with a brush and pumps like crazy for a couple of minutes. He never splits it and recons he never gets any problems with it.
    Im not that brave
    Yea, I got pressure washer too but it's easier just to open and load, I think it quicker too.

Bought a a drywall master 5" box, the lid is not attached to the box so when you open it to fill it comes off! Never had this before. The guy who sold it to me says all boxes are like that, it's the springs that keep the lid on and the 5" is too small for springs...

funny though my Columbia boxes are not this way, nor tape tech nor level 5 ... Just more bullshit from drywall vendors.

Fucking joke.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

The North star has two screws to undo to open it, far too much hastel to do every 3-4 joints. I just like the consistency of boxing filler on, each joint the same.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dillon For This Useful Post:

thomas.savage (19-04-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

use artex as proset no longer available..good for 8hrs and clean in the sink at home or blast away up carwash or why not shower with ones tools........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

The North star has two screws to undo to open it, far too much hastel to do every 3-4 joints. I just like the consistency of boxing filler on, each joint the same.
    I agree, I like the consistency too.. Yea fuck messing about with screws.. I will have to come see you box one day lol the Columbia just opens and closes easy as. 10 second job to fill it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smiler View Post
    use artex as proset no longer available..good for 8hrs and clean in the sink at home or blast away up carwash or why not shower with ones tools........
    lol

i don't like slow set stuff, it tends to shrink bad if it drys before it sets and thats a problem in the summer. Proset was crap imo.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thomas.savage View Post
    I agree, I like the consistency too.. Yea fuck messing about with screws.. I will have to come see you box one day lol the Columbia just opens and closes easy as. 10 second job to fill it.
    I have 2 units to go then will have a breather, Its about time we met and put the world to rights. I'll get in touch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

I have 2 units to go then will have a breather, Its about time we met and put the world to rights. I'll get in touch.
    Beer o'clock

Thread Information