Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Automatic and hand tools, sanders, stilts etc. What's hot and what's not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Default Cordless mixing drills

drywallschool.com

Any of you mud monkeys using a cordless drill for mixing filler and joint cement?

I am am in the middle of trying a few devices

1. Hilti hammer drill 3.6

2. Makita DHP481RTJ 18v LXT

will keep the best one, yet to try them.

any thoughts ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thomas.savage View Post
    Any of you mud monkeys using a cordless drill for mixing filler and joint cement?

any thoughts ?
    Personally id go for the hilti looks more robust.....and probably vibrates more ..if you know what i mean.............?

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

any thoughts ?
    Makita LXT 3 speed!
    They have stopped the 3 speed now but its the best out!
    U can still get them as I just got another, They last well and u get quite a few buckets out of a 3Ah batt! Can easily get gearboxes for them at about £60 but I'm a lazy f*cker and cant b assed sorting my old 1!
    It lasted years and now I have 3 of them just incase 1 stops when on a job!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beermonster For This Useful Post:

sweendog1 (05-05-2016), thomas.savage (10-05-2016)

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

There is 1 on toolstore!
    Might buy it myself as its only £109 including vat!!
    Sorry says it is discontinued!!!
    Last edited by Beermonster; 03-05-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Nice one, the makita I have on the way is the next model after that LXT I think. Battery is 5ah I think, brushless motor. I have seen it mixing up big 30L buckets of mortar online but yet to try it myself. It's only 2 speed but that's plenty as will only use it on fastest setting anyway.

Next job mixing paddles lol bought a advanced one from drylining supplies. It's a paddle type... Who knows.

The hilti I got is shit for the job, not fast enough.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

Nice one, the makita I have on the way is the next model after that LXT I think. Battery is 5ah I think, brushless motor. I have seen it mixing up big 30L buckets of mortar online but yet to try it myself. It's only 2 speed but that's plenty as will only use it on fastest setting anyway.

Next job mixing paddles lol bought a advanced one from drylining supplies. It's a paddle type... Who knows.

The hilti I got is shit for the job, not fast enough.
    Yea that's why the 3 speed is good!
    on 1 for mixing the freemans then in some water and mix again then onto the 2 setting for whipping the stuff up! the 3rd speed is fast and u can smell the thing burning!
    I just found another that is 3 speed and its a BDF451RFE!
    I have both the advance paddles and yae they r good! The little 1 u got is great for fastest but a bit small for whole pails of ready-mix but still does the job!
    The bigger paddle I have not seen in the UK!
    I traded a 3.5 Columbia finisher for it from I guy in the states!
    Cant seem to track down the bigger paddle but it was Rick Hardman that invented the thing! Then he got involved with Advance and now they r putting them out.
    U tried their offset knives? F*ckin great but only place in the UK I can find then is Plastering supplies I think it was, Cost me about £50 and then some of these people that work for me or with me has left it on a job!
    Been trying Mr Belmore to take them in BUT!!!!!
    Last edited by Beermonster; 03-05-2016 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Well the makita broke within a minute of mixing on speed two, speed one is ineffective. Shit!

the hilt Is too slow... Shit

what a load of shit cordless mixing is. Can't mix 30lt buckets of filler this way.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

Well the makita broke within a minute of mixing on speed two, speed one is ineffective. Shit!

the hilt Is too slow... Shit

what a load of shit cordless mixing is. Can't mix 30lt buckets of filler this way.
    That's why I said u need the 3 speed! 1 is 2 slow, 2 is good and 3 is to much for the gun! The new 2 speed guns on 2 is like being set on 3 on the 3 speed gun!
    What about an SDS gun? Not sure what kind of speed they get up 2 tho!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beermonster View Post
    That's why I said u need the 3 speed! 1 is 2 slow, 2 is good and 3 is to much for the gun! The new 2 speed guns on 2 is like being set on 3 on the 3 speed gun!
    What about an SDS gun? Not sure what kind of speed they get up 2 tho!
    the sds hilti is too slow, has to go back as battery is fucked anyway,

makita is shit, even though the u.s rep makes videos of it being used to mix much tougher loads than drywall compound. Makita dealer don't won't to refund me.

Thats best part of £650 down the drain,

now bought a 3 speed dewalt. Not as much torque as the makita 80 vs 125 , but whatever. Better fucking work.

Nothing works when when I buy it.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

the sds hilti is too slow, has to go back as battery is fucked anyway,

makita is shit, even though the u.s rep makes videos of it being used to mix much tougher loads than drywall compound. Makita dealer don't won't to refund me.

Thats best part of £650 down the drain,

now bought a 3 speed dewalt. Not as much torque as the makita 80 vs 125 , but whatever. Better fucking work.

Nothing works when when I buy it.
    Let us know how the Dewalt goes as I'm sure u will. LOL
    My Makita guns r great but they have f*cked up changing 2 the 2 speed!
    Well for what I use them for anyway, Maybe b ok for a joiner if half the c*nts can call themselves that!!
    £650
    Last gun I found on fleybay cost me £105!!

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

Is it the DCD985?
    If so f*cking cheap on fleybay with 2 4.0 ah batts!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Is it the DCD985?
    If so f*cking cheap on fleybay with 2 4.0 ah batts!

DeWalt DCD995P2 18V

i paid £360 from screwfuck, eBay has one similar for £290 but most are around £350 +

if it goes wrong I can take it back to the store! No fucking about trying to get your money back from cunts over the phone.

The forum is not well supported, I thought a few months of regular activity might get us going again but not looking that likely. Used to be more active members years ago?

Its a shame as The job is quite different in the main over here compared to the states and even Australia. So it's good to have this resource, for relevant info on mass housing in the u.k on a tight price rather than fantasy big units with a two week + turn over and great weather and electric blow heaters.. Huge prices and all the easy beads and processes this affords one.

totally different job here on site, much harder. A monkey can run ready mix through boxes all day and stick on 'no coat' bead, spend two weeks chasing Mexicans about while stiffing their wife's.

Learning to do site houses with setting compounds in quick time to a good standard consistently through all weathers is a whole other story. On shit price too boot! And make a living!?

the hardest part of the job is not getting so down with the basic repetitive nature of it... The constant bullshit and general retarded nature of mass housing in the uk.

If if you can do it day in day out for twenty plus years and not fantasies about driving into on coming traffic... Your doing well!

Last edited by thomas.savage; 06-05-2016 at 07:12 AM.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

DeWalt DCD995P2 18V

i paid £360 from screwfuck, eBay has one similar for £290 but most are around £350 +

if it goes wrong I can take it back to the store! No fucking about trying to get your money back from cunts over the phone.

The forum is not well supported, I thought a few months of regular activity might get us going again but not looking that likely. Used to be more active members years ago?

Its a shame as The job is quite different in the main over here compared to the states and even Australia. So it's good to have this resource, for relevant info on mass housing in the u.k on a tight price rather than fantasy big units with a two week + turn over and great weather and electric blow heaters.. Huge prices and all the easy beads and processes this affords one.

totally different job here on site, much harder. A monkey can run ready mix through boxes all day and stick on 'no coat' bead, spend two weeks chasing Mexicans about while stiffing their wife's.

Learning to do site houses with setting compounds in quick time to a good standard consistently through all weathers is a whole other story. On shit price too boot! And make a living!?

the hardest part of the job is not getting so down with the basic repetitive nature of it... The constant bullshit and general retarded nature of mass housing in the uk.

If if you can do it day in day out for twenty plus years and not fantasies about driving into on coming traffic... Your doing well!

Think we r the only 2 left!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Think we r the only 2 left!
    Seems that way, it's surprising as you never meet other tapers on site so meeting up online and sharing knowledge it good. Plenty sign up and browse but hardly anyone contributes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Well the tornado ( advanced) mixing paddle is crap, it does nothing to mix ready mix up but the marshaltown one is ok. It seems to scrape the bucket though. Still does the job ok... Not better than ok though.

the dewalt works! It's ok too, on speed 2 it's viable for 30lt buckets of filler and ready mix. Would not fancy mixing regular bagged joint cement though.

The battery ran down very quick though was on one bar after 3 mixes.

Shame about the makita as with a 3rd gear it would smoke the dewalt, as it is it just smokes it's clutch in ten seconds!

beermonster was spot on in his options other than the advanced mixing paddle that needs serious speed before its effective. Now in the skip.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Further use of the dewalt combined with the marshaltown mixing paddle has resulted in excellent mixes.

Still a little slower than my drill and generator but that's the paddle design. Still experimenting with that side of things..

To start mix, mix bucket as you pour the powder in at full speed on gear 1 , once all powder is gone into your mix switch up to gear 2 to whip up and get rid of lumps. Battery lasts well enough for me to do a three bed persimmon house in one charge today.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

Further use of the dewalt combined with the marshaltown mixing paddle has resulted in excellent mixes.

Still a little slower than my drill and generator but that's the paddle design. Still experimenting with that side of things..

To start mix, mix bucket as you pour the powder in at full speed on gear 1 , once all powder is gone into your mix switch up to gear 2 to whip up and get rid of lumps. Battery lasts well enough for me to do a three bed persimmon house in one charge today.
    Good stuff Mr Tom!
    I like my Tornado mixer but the small 1 only for fastest not readymix!(I don't use powdered) I tried to get a pic of the big mixer but cant find it on my comp!
    Good to no the Dewalt is working!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Beermonster For This Useful Post:

thomas.savage (11-05-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Good stuff Mr Tom!
    I like my Tornado mixer but the small 1 only for fastest not readymix!(I don't use powdered) I tried to get a pic of the big mixer but cant find it on my comp!
    Good to no the Dewalt is working!
    Yea you got the big white one haven't you? That looks good but the advance thing is too small.

its a case of reinventing the wheel imo, typical yanks lol.

Nothing wrong with with the marshaltown, no unmixed powder.. Lump free... Easy to clean.. Fast enough...don't over stress the drill and works with everything..
    thanks for your help! If I had held off and waited for your advice I would of saved plenty££££

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

Yea you got the big white one haven't you? That looks good but the advance thing is too small.

its a case of reinventing the wheel imo, typical yanks lol.

Nothing wrong with with the marshaltown, no unmixed powder.. Lump free... Easy to clean.. Fast enough...don't over stress the drill and works with everything..
    thanks for your help! If I had held off and waited for your advice I would of saved plenty££££
    Yea the big white 1!
    Its a great mixer that's for sure and sorry u bought a load o sh*te with the drills!!
    But if u get the right drill they do save carrying about a f*ckin genny!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Yea the big white 1!
    Its a great mixer that's for sure and sorry u bought a load o sh*te with the drills!!
    But if u get the right drill they do save carrying about a f*ckin genny!
    As I sand by hand the genny can go fuck itself lol

tripping over cables, buggering about with cable knots and not being able to close front door cozy it catches on cable. My genny is at brandon tool hire getting fixed but it will go straight back into the garage. ( Brandon are shit as)

More room in the van too! No petrol cans.. No petrol! No buggering about with drip tray..

Love it.

Got a big JBL wireless speaker for work today, fuck the headphones! Site can jam to my tunes if they don't like it.... They can swivel. It's awesome JBL XTREME, downloaded my Amazon music collection to my phone. Bluetooth together, turn it up.. Happy days, till the battery runs out that is. See how long it lasts on SAVAGE listening levels.

Thread Information