Automatic and hand tools, sanders, stilts etc. What's hot and what's not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Deciding on a mixer and paddle(s)

Good evening everyone,

I'm in the middle of a fairly important flat renovation project, so I'd rather take my time and not skimp on quality.

Until now, I've been stirring and / or mixing paint, varnish and filler with my....Bosch rotary hammer (set in regular drill mode).
    It worked out pretty well so far, but:

- I've already had several bad splashes when pressing the trigger a bit too fast which can have terrible repercussions.
    - I'm always thinking that the hammer drill isn't really designed for this task (in the long run).
    - I've been using my power drill to stir varnish (and sometimes had the same issues as above).

I'll be stirring and mixing mud and /or filler in the next few weeks and I'm really looking for a different option that would be: safer, easier, quicker, more reliable, consistant and did I say cleaner ?
    In short, I don't think I should be mixing with a rotary hammer.

So far, I have a Collomix paddle and I was thinking of buying the following paddles: FM90, KR and maybe a LX paddle too. A friend of mine told me that a dedicated mixer with a really versatile paddle (if that really exists) would possibly something to be considered.

I'm a guy that firmly believes in the "Buy the best and cry only once" approach , so I'd rather buy a mixer that will outlive me (even if used up to 50% of its possibilities) and feel comfortable knowing that I probably won't have to buy another mixer for the next few years. I would say I could be mixing up to 30 liters of filler / mud, and 15 liters of paint...so I won't be a hardcore power user.

Not in any particular order, I've been considering the possible mixers below. Your feedback and input will be more than welcome. Also, do you think a two speed mixer is necessarily better than a single speed mixer (but will be more versatile) ? Budget wise, I would happily stay in the 150 / 200 range.
    I've listed some manufacturers and models that I heard good things about. I might have missed a few others only you would know about...

Festool MX 1000 E EF HS2 (single speed). I think it's a mixer that was made by Protool originally, and now integrated within the Festool lineup. Hype or real product ?

Collomix Xo1 (single speed). I really like their paddles and I think the ergonomics of their mixers are amazing. What about the motor and their reliability ? This one is already a bit over my budget.

Collomix Xo4 (two speeds). This one is very expensive.

Flex MXE 1100 (single speed with speed controller). A bit on the expensive side too.

Eibenstock EHR 14.1 (single speed). Same thing, and I feel like having a rotary hammer again.

Eibenstock EHR 15.1 (single speed).
    Surprisingly affordable too !

Eibenstock EHR 18 (single speed).

Eibenstock EHR 20.1 (two speeds)

Strangely, the Eibenstock have a very good reputation and somehow, are 20% cheaper than others listed. Did I miss something ?

In terms of paddle, is there any I could consider that would work perfectly with: paint, varnish, mud, filler ? Maybe it's a bit too much to ask.

Thanks a lot for your help and feedback !
    Last edited by hemdale; 22-05-2016 at 12:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Honestly just get anything with a variable speed on either the trigger or on the handle somewhere. That will sort your 'splashing' issues.

a decent size mixing paddle ... 140mm plus, that's it.

I tended to go through a lot of drills but then I always abused them, it you look after them and change out the brushes now and then all of the above drills you mention will do fine.( avoid flex though, they are clueless company and no better than cheap drills)

Xo1 would be a good choice but equally cheaper options will suffice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you Thomas.

I didn't know that Flex weren't that good. Any feedback on the Eibenstock models ? Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hemdale View Post
    Thank you Thomas.

I didn't know that Flex weren't that good. Any feedback on the Eibenstock models ? Thanks
    I have never used those but I would think they are reasonable.

Regarding flex I have had plenty of their products, a good few were non operational out of the box! The remaining ones developed faults or were just plainly no as good as the competition.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thomas.savage For This Useful Post:

hemdale (22-05-2016)

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Had my refina for 12 years now. Just general maintenance thats all. Used every day. Have a look.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by forestbhoy View Post
    Had my refina for 12 years now. Just general maintenance thats all. Used every day. Have a look.
    Good shout!

Thread Information