Results 1 to 15 of 15

Automatic and hand tools, sanders, stilts etc. What's hot and what's not.

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Jointing materials


    I'm about to start a large job that I am supplying materials on, where is the best/cheapest place to order filler cement tapes from?
    Also anyone using any other brands apart from gypsum that are any good?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    taunton
    Posts
    299
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    18
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    39
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donks123 View Post
    I'm about to start a large job that I am supplying materials on, where is the best/cheapest place to order filler cement tapes from?
    Also anyone using any other brands apart from gypsum that are any good?

    Thanks in advance
    Give Marcus a ring at belmore tools, they have everything you need plus some great stuff you won't get anywhere else.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    64
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thomas.savage View Post
    Give Marcus a ring at belmore tools, they have everything you need plus some great stuff you won't get anywhere else.
    But make sure you dont get anything bg. Have got on a site where site agent is insisting on bg(so far i have managed to just use filler). What a pile of crap, used there products in the past, all total shit. So far i have had 2 batches both different i.e setting times,shrinkage etc. I know the developers are getting a rebate, and i have heard its around 200 per plot, if thats true what a joke. I have made sure it looks as good as normal with extra time and coats at my own cost, but most wont. Will cost much more to plots right when other tapers think bollox, I get 1.60 pm only 2 coating. God bless arrow/freeman, typical we have to use stuff from usa as we cant make decent stuff here.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to mcfc For This Useful Post:

    thomas.savage (01-06-2016)

  5. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    taunton
    Posts
    299
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    18
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    39
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcfc View Post
    But make sure you dont get anything bg. Have got on a site where site agent is insisting on bg(so far i have managed to just use filler). What a pile of crap, used there products in the past, all total shit. So far i have had 2 batches both different i.e setting times,shrinkage etc. I know the developers are getting a rebate, and i have heard its around 200 per plot, if thats true what a joke. I have made sure it looks as good as normal with extra time and coats at my own cost, but most wont. Will cost much more to plots right when other tapers think bollox, I get 1.60 pm only 2 coating. God bless arrow/freeman, typical we have to use stuff from usa as we cant make decent stuff here.
    you echo my sentiments exactly!

  6. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Is this arrow stuff good then lads? What are the prices?

  7. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    taunton
    Posts
    299
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    18
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    39
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donks123 View Post
    Is this arrow stuff good then lads? What are the prices?
    The arrow filler is rubbish, but the joint cement is good. Not a patch on freeman ready mix though!

    Arrow is around 13-14 a bag while freeman ready mix is sold by the box but you will need two boxes to match one bag of arrow. it's around 7.50 a box so 15-16 for the equivalent amount.

    I wont go through all the things that make freeman better but it spreads a lot easier and rubs down better.

    if you want to know more look up the freeman thread on this forum.

    arrow metal angle tape is good also.
    Last edited by thomas.savage; 02-06-2016 at 12:04 PM.

  8. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    12
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thomas.savage View Post
    The arrow filler is rubbish, but the joint cement is good. Not a patch on freeman ready mix though!

    Arrow is around 13-14 a bag while freeman ready mix is sold by the box but you will need two boxes to match one bag of arrow. it's around 7.50 a box so 15-16 for the equivalent amount.

    I wont go through all the things that make freeman better but it spreads a lot easier and rubs down better.

    if you want to know more look up the freeman thread on this forum.

    arrow metal angle tape is good also.
    anybody using knauf bonding these days..personally stopped about 18 mnths ago due to fact went rather hard /black/gritty..

  9. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    taunton
    Posts
    299
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    18
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    39
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smiler View Post
    anybody using knauf bonding these days..personally stopped about 18 mnths ago due to fact went rather hard /black/gritty..
    Lol

    its not gritty anymore but it's not right for the job. It used to be OK years ago though. If you want something that behaves like the old knauf but goes off quicker try the sinate trade joint filler. It's cheap 4 a bag ish..

  10. #9
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cornwall UK
    Posts
    160
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    34
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    15
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

    Default

    I've been doing a couple of industrial units recently and used the Wundertex Prem Filler for some areas. It's actually pretty good for the first fill, but grabs and drags like crazy on the second.
    I found 1 coat of the Prem fill and 2 coats of Smartmix or Freeman on top works great. You could get away with 1 Freeman if the framing is gooood.
    Still, I'll be using Freeman for everything for houses still.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to prjwebb For This Useful Post:

    thomas.savage (06-06-2016)

  12. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    taunton
    Posts
    299
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    18
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    39
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prjwebb View Post
    I've been doing a couple of industrial units recently and used the Wundertex Prem Filler for some areas. It's actually pretty good for the first fill, but grabs and drags like crazy on the second.
    I found 1 coat of the Prem fill and 2 coats of Smartmix or Freeman on top works great. You could get away with 1 Freeman if the framing is gooood.
    Still, I'll be using Freeman for everything for houses still.
    thats nice, one tight filler then two freeman.. Not given time for that sadly.

  13. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    taunton
    Posts
    299
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    18
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    39
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

    Default

    Banged on some sinate trade filler yesterday, topped on it ( nice and dry) today with freeman. They work really well together, they seem to have improved the trade filler. It don't shrink back, in fact it's the best standard filler I have used in terms of shrinkage. It scrapes back easy when dry even though it does set hard!

    It mixes up easy but weird, very thick in the bucket but when you use it it thins down and spreads very easy. Nothing else does this but I can see why they made it this way. You just have to be carful mixing it and avoid the temptation to thin it down. You don't want to over mix it either, it's literally a one minute job.

    It fills holes better than anything I have used, does not bulge out even when filling fairly big holes in ceilings. It is also the best stuff I have used for putting on metal angle tape. As it thins down when you put energy into it the angle rolls in( with tape tech roller) really well and added to that the filler is very quick to grab and stabilise the tape so you can coat up straight away with no movement or shrinkage later.

    The only down side for me is it sets a little quick imo, you don't really get a hour with it as it kind of starts to ' change' after 30-40 minutes and really is setting after 60. That's a shame as ideally you want to be able to mix up 2 bags in a bucket and coat everything in each room without the compound changing personally.

    On easy work that's no problem but in the timber frame town houses I am doing i am cutting it fine lol.

    Still for 4-5 a bag it's good stuff, not topped on it in a day yet. Will be next week though as back to standard 5-6 hour 3 beds ..
    Last edited by thomas.savage; 09-06-2016 at 04:46 PM.

  14. #12
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    12
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prjwebb View Post
    I've been doing a couple of industrial units recently and used the Wundertex Prem Filler for some areas. It's actually pretty good for the first fill, but grabs and drags like crazy on the second.
    I found 1 coat of the Prem fill and 2 coats of Smartmix or Freeman on top works great. You could get away with 1 Freeman if the framing is gooood.
    Still, I'll be using Freeman for everything for houses still.
    breaking news..knauf bonding back in the game ..couple handfulls siniat..top shit..couple years new porche with money saved

  15. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    64
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smiler View Post
    breaking news..knauf bonding back in the game ..couple handfulls siniat..top shit..couple years new porche with money saved
    Is that a really fast, cool car or a small extension on the front of your house?

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcfc For This Useful Post:

    Beermonster (12-06-2016), thomas.savage (12-06-2016)

  17. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    taunton
    Posts
    299
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    18
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    39
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

    Default

    Once you figure in tax and other mitigating factors using bonding compound to tape is a waste of time... The trade filler is cheap why bother playing Russian roulette with bonding.

  18. #15
    Season Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    523
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    80
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    74
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcfc View Post
    Is that a really fast, cool car or a small extension on the front of your house?
    That made me laugh!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Materials for Sale
    By TurboTaperz in forum For sale and wanted
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2016, 12:02 PM
  2. Methods and Materials
    By McCallum and Sons Drywall in forum Taping, jointing and drywall finishing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 28-04-2014, 05:21 AM
  3. what materials do you prefer?
    By wallpaul in forum Taping tools and materials
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 09-08-2012, 07:53 PM
  4. Where do you get your materials from ???
    By USG in forum Taping tools and materials
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 08:18 PM
  5. materials
    By jimbo1873 in forum Taping tools and materials
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 31-10-2009, 05:26 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •