Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Automatic and hand tools, sanders, stilts etc. What's hot and what's not.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Default Northstar Box Handle Problem

drywallschool.com

I have a Northstar box handle and just recently the brake lever has started to stick to the point that I have to squeeze it on then push it off. I have tried wd40 and given it a good clean as best I can but still sticking. I downloaded the semantic for it and can see the brake mechanism inside. It looks like I have to remover the pins in the box end to disassemble but while they rotate freely they wont knock or posh out.

Any Ideas or Help please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    I have a Northstar box handle and just recently the brake lever has started to stick to the point that I have to squeeze it on then push it off. I have tried wd40 and given it a good clean as best I can but still sticking. I downloaded the semantic for it and can see the brake mechanism inside. It looks like I have to remover the pins in the box end to disassemble but while they rotate freely they wont knock or posh out.

Get medieval on its ass... Try soaking it over night then oil the fuck out of it.. Buy cheap level 5 replacement, it's only a handle.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

sod off you hooligan I look after my tools, The pins are stainless but sit in cast alloy housings, soaking them wont help because I keep them well oiled all the time. Its freed up a little so will wait till I get a break in work and have another go then if I fuck it I can get a new one 215 coz I want the same. Its lasted 10 yrs so its cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

sod off you hooligan I look after my tools, The pins are stainless but sit in cast alloy housings, soaking them wont help because I keep them well oiled all the time. Its freed up a little so will wait till I get a break in work and have another go then if I fuck it I can get a new one 215 coz I want the same. Its lasted 10 yrs so its cheap.
    oooherrr Mrs the lady is not for turning

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

A lady that turns over aint no Lady

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thomas.savage View Post
    Get medieval on its ass... Try soaking it over night then oil the fuck out of it.. Buy cheap level 5 replacement, it's only a handle.
    Nothing wrong with L5 handle!
    Got 1 a while ago(Extendable) Great handle and its the same as a northstar handle!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Beermonster For This Useful Post:

thomas.savage (03-09-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beermonster View Post
    Nothing wrong with L5 handle!
    Got 1 a while ago(Extendable) Great handle and its the same as a northstar handle!
    I agree, it's a handle ffs. It extends its light it carries on working for years if looked after...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

A lady that turns over aint no Lady
    Don't diss your Mrs

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Ok Ok I'll look into it. But it wont match all my other NORTHSTAR tools Jeeeeez I'll be a laughing stock.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Ok Ok I'll look into it. But it wont match all my other NORTHSTAR tools Jeeeeez I'll be a laughing stock.
    Paint it green... Save 100

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

Fuck all my tools r dif colours!
    Another 2 get is the extendable corner roller handle!
    I have a Columbia 3 extendable handle and its went tits up twice now and still waiting for it to get fixed! Never again will I get 1 of those but I did get it free so I cant really complain much!

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

I guess Ill just have to bite the bullet and buy another, I will have a look and see what Belmore have and add it to my next order. I just like to fix things rather than chuck and replace, but a I cant figure out how to get into this bugger. It looks like the pins are riveted in like a bike chain so I will need to grind off one end and push out, cant try that until I have a spare though incase I fuck it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I guess Ill just have to bite the bullet and buy another, I will have a look and see what Belmore have and add it to my next order. I just like to fix things rather than chuck and replace, but a I cant figure out how to get into this bugger. It looks like the pins are riveted in like a bike chain so I will need to grind off one end and push out, cant try that until I have a spare though incase I fuck it up.
    I have the same handle and a few years ago started suffering the same sticky brake lever problem untill it broke completely, do take it apart you will need to drill out the rivets, I sent mine to Belmore to be fixed and it's been good as new ever since.
    "YOUR PRIUS JUST SAVED ALL THE PETROL MY MUSTANG USED!"

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by saleen836 View Post
    I have the same handle and a few years ago started suffering the same sticky brake lever problem untill it broke completely, do take it apart you will need to drill out the rivets, I sent mine to Belmore to be fixed and it's been good as new ever since.
    Thanks Mate that's what I needed to hear, might buy a cheap one then get this one repaired in that case.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

So this is great, I bought a second hand handle, Not great but Ok. Sent my Northstar up to Belmore, I chased it up today to make sure they have it and for a progress report. They tell me they cant repair North star as they cant get the parts which is a bit of a piss off as when you send your broken tools to them you have to agree a 25+vat return postage charge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

So this is great, I bought a second hand handle, Not great but Ok. Sent my Northstar up to Belmore, I chased it up today to make sure they have it and for a progress report. They tell me they cant repair North star as they cant get the parts which is a bit of a piss off as when you send your broken tools to them you have to agree a 25+vat return postage charge.
    Lol classic belmore..

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Should have just bought a new northstar handle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

He he.. Be lucky to see us again lol level 5 nice n cheap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hi Dillon,
    The repair is really quite simple. You DO NOT need to drill the rivets. There are 2 set screws in the mounting plate on the under side, loosen the top one, then slide the pin out and the mounting plate and rod assembly slides out. Then there is a 6-32 Allan socket cap screw that mounts the head that you access from the little hole under the rubber grip. (5/16 nut). Pull the head out. Next go to the trigger end and back off the 5/16 adjustment nut at the very end of the lever. Take the screw out that holds the lever assembly, and remove lever assembly. Now the entire inner extruded tube will slide out the top. Pop the spring pin at the the brake end, and your in! Replace the pinch brake, roller bearing assembly and the slotted activator plate. Heavy grease, and reassemble reading these directions backwards. You should get another 10 years out of it!!!

Thanks for your support of NorthStar Taping Tools!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to GreatLakesTapingTools For This Useful Post:

amestaper (12-12-2016)

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Thank You very much I did have a good look to try and fix it myself I did find the nut under the grip but not the ones that hold the pins in.

The guy at Belmore said they would have a look at it and let me know, I'm sure they know how to get it to it but its the parts they cant get.

I see your in the USA so a bit far for me to post for repair. I do love my Northstar tools they have served me well but they are getting old and I know I will be needing some spares soon like new blades for the boxes. Do you sell and ship to the UK.

Thread Information