Automatic and hand tools, sanders, stilts etc. What's hot and what's not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Columbia Cam Lock Tube and accessories?

Just wanted to see if any of you have used the Columbia mud tubes and accessories for it? Flushers, internal/external applicators, rollers etc. I am currently using a CanAM tube (with their inside applicator and flushers) and have not been happy with if as of late, plus they are hard to clean. The new Columbia tube looks like it would be easier to get a good clean as you can take both ends of the tube off fairly easy. Have any of you used these tools and if so what do you think of them?

PS: I am a new member. Looking forward to chatting with some of you Been taping now for over 36 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Just wanted to see if any of you have used the Columbia mud tubes and accessories for it? Flushers, internal/external applicators, rollers etc. I am currently using a CanAM tube (with their inside applicator and flushers) and have not been happy with if as of late, plus they are hard to clean. The new Columbia tube looks like it would be easier to get a good clean as you can take both ends of the tube off fairly easy. Have any of you used these tools and if so what do you think of them?

PS: I am a new member. Looking forward to chatting with some of you Been taping now for over 36 years.
    The Columbia tube is excellent, superior to th Can am but not night and day. Personally I like the can am tools, before you could buy tubes and flushers over here I used to bring the can am stuff over from west tech drywall tools.

The internal applicator heads all put on a diffrent amount of compound so it's a preference thing, right now I use the Columbia head but take one set of wheels off as with both it leaves too much on when I flush over with a 2 inch finishing head.

Would not not bother with a outside external angle applicator, but I guess it depends on how you go about the job.

Iv used the flushers but tbh prefer the finish from a traditional corner finisher..

There is no real need to take the tube apart, just flush it out with water.. Unless your putting filler through it.

again the external roller for your everyday metal angle flex tape is a waste of time, I can knife in by hand in the time it takes to carry it round the house.. But if your using no coat angle or the paper faced beads ( pre cut lengths) possibly you might lose me it..

Hope that helps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thomas.savage View Post
    The Columbia tube is excellent, superior to th Can am but not night and day. Personally I like the can am tools, before you could buy tubes and flushers over here I used to bring the can am stuff over from west tech drywall tools.

The internal applicator heads all put on a diffrent amount of compound so it's a preference thing, right now I use the Columbia head but take one set of wheels off as with both it leaves too much on when I flush over with a 2 inch finishing head.

Would not not bother with a outside external angle applicator, but I guess it depends on how you go about the job.

Iv used the flushers but tbh prefer the finish from a traditional corner finisher..

There is no real need to take the tube apart, just flush it out with water.. Unless your putting filler through it.

again the external roller for your everyday metal angle flex tape is a waste of time, I can knife in by hand in the time it takes to carry it round the house.. But if your using no coat angle or the paper faced beads ( pre cut lengths) possibly you might lose me it..

Hope that helps
    THANKS for your input Thomas! I have been flushing out the CanAm tube out with water after I use it but it still has issues like: the draw handle sticking, mud leaking from between the tube and handle out the bottom end of the tube. The tube is fairly new just a few months old. The internal applicators I have are sub par. The 2 wheel one doesn't seem to leave enough mud and the 4 wheeled one leaves too much (as you stated in your comment). I do like the flushers (I use the standard not direct) but have been getting fine hairline cracks from time to time not sure why? I use the 2.5" for initial flush after rolling and finish with the 3.5". That's why I am looking in to maybe trying another brand, thought I'd have better luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

THANKS for your input Thomas! I have been flushing out the CanAm tube out with water after I use it but it still has issues like: the draw handle sticking, mud leaking from between the tube and handle out the bottom end of the tube. The tube is fairly new just a few months old. The internal applicators I have are sub par. The 2 wheel one doesn't seem to leave enough mud and the 4 wheeled one leaves too much (as you stated in your comment). I do like the flushers (I use the standard not direct) but have been getting fine hairline cracks from time to time not sure why? I use the 2.5" for initial flush after rolling and finish with the 3.5". That's why I am looking in to maybe trying another brand, thought I'd have better luck.
    Iv had those issue with various tubes, my current Columbia tube operates flawlessly.

If you want more material applied I'd suggest the Tapepro applicator head image.jpeg if it puts a little too much on just sand it off ( the two beads of material will then be a little shallower) a little modification is needed to make all the applicator heads perfect..

if you get a padsaw , you can cut groves into the rear of your can am head, this will allow a bit more material to be applied. Do it right and you should achieve the desired result.. More material than normal with 2 wheels but less than with the 4 wheels. ( I do this ) . Following this method it's basically customisable, deeper wider grooves for more material. Cut one Channel or grove into the far outside of the head try that as it's all you need.. The extra material is just enough to enable easy flushing ( with you 2.5 flusher but not enough for a 3.5, for that you need to cut a extra grove into the inside of the applicator )

as for cracking, I assume that's occurring at the apex of the corner.. Weak mud or overly thinned mud can cause that.. As can excessive heat in the winter. It's more of a issue with flushers than traditional corner finishers as the flusher 'rounds off' the apex so there is material connected in the middle from the ceiling area and the wall area.. That can crack but should be ok after you sand it as long as you use a sanding method that gets right into the corner. Also if your finishing them in a day or not letting the flush coat dry this can cause that centre line crack.

Changing brands of corner flusher will not help your cracking issue.

Try flushing with the 3.5 then after its dry 2nd coat with the 2.5 but keep your can am applicator head ( with two wheels) for the second coat as you won't need much mud.

By far the best way to finish internal corners is to flush with traditional 3.5 inch corner finisher ( make sure there's enough compound applied to do this properly) after you've rolled in the tape.. Then when dry put a 3" on your tube and apply 2nd coat. You will have perfect corners, no cracking, no shrinkages, no tape movement, no edge and basically nothing to sand.
    Last edited by thomas.savage; 15-02-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thomas.savage View Post
    Iv had those issue with various tubes, my current Columbia tube operates flawlessly.

If you want more material applied I'd suggest the Tapepro applicator head image.jpeg if it puts a little too much on just sand it off ( the two beads of material will then be a little shallower) a little modification is needed to make all the applicator heads perfect..

if you get a padsaw , you can cut groves into the rear of your can am head, this will allow a bit more material to be applied. Do it right and you should achieve the desired result.. More material than normal with 2 wheels but less than with the 4 wheels. ( I do this ) . Following this method it's basically customisable, deeper wider grooves for more material. Cut one Channel or grove into the far outside of the head try that as it's all you need.. The extra material is just enough to enable easy flushing ( with you 2.5 flusher but not enough for a 3.5, for that you need to cut a extra grove into the inside of the applicator )

as for cracking, I assume that's occurring at the apex of the corner.. Weak mud or overly thinned mud can cause that.. As can excessive heat in the winter. It's more of a issue with flushers than traditional corner finishers as the flusher 'rounds off' the apex so there is material connected in the middle from the ceiling area and the wall area.. That can crack but should be ok after you sand it as long as you use a sanding method that gets right into the corner. Also if your finishing them in a day or not letting the flush coat dry this can cause that centre line crack.

Changing brands of corner flusher will not help your cracking issue.

Try flushing with the 3.5 then after its dry 2nd coat with the 2.5 but keep your can am applicator head ( with two wheels) for the second coat as you won't need much mud.

By far the best way to finish internal corners is to flush with traditional 3.5 inch corner finisher ( make sure there's enough compound applied to do this properly) after you've rolled in the tape.. Then when dry put a 3" on your tube and apply 2nd coat. You will have perfect corners, no cracking, no shrinkages, no tape movement, no edge and basically nothing to sand.
    Some great tips/advice. THANKS! Been working on my own for too long I think (15+ years) and maybe have developed some bad habits along the way. Will definitely get the Columbia tube and go from there. Do the CanAm applicators work with the Columbia tube or should I get the Columbia brand? The cracking is on the slightly rounded area of the angle. Will try to thicken my mud to see if that works. I can also see heat being an issue with that as well as I work in Alberta Canada and we have some very cold winters here sometimes and the heat is cranked up for drying time. Thanks again, your input has been very helpful

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Some great tips/advice. THANKS! Been working on my own for too long I think (15+ years) and maybe have developed some bad habits along the way. Will definitely get the Columbia tube and go from there. Do the CanAm applicators work with the Columbia tube or should I get the Columbia brand? The cracking is on the slightly rounded area of the angle. Will try to thicken my mud to see if that works. I can also see heat being an issue with that as well as I work in Alberta Canada and we have some very cold winters here sometimes and the heat is cranked up for drying time. Thanks again, your input has been very helpful
    Everything should fit on the Columbia tube.. Iv been working on my own for 15 years too, no bad habits but I have gone a little nutty

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I ordered the Columbia Cam Lock tube along with a few accessories and a new angle corner roller. All are Columbia brand. Looking forward to using them Should get them next week some time. Been working on a new house for the past few weeks. It's about 3600 sq/ft over 2 floors. Bullnose bead everywhere with 9' and 10' ceilings. Contractor also requested that I use the 90 deg transition pieces for the bottom of all the bullnose so he can just 45 all his trim. Lots of work for an old man..lol Have sanding and knock-down texture left and it's done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Well, I ordered the Columbia Cam Lock tube along with a few accessories and a new angle corner roller. All are Columbia brand. Looking forward to using them Should get them next week some time. Been working on a new house for the past few weeks. It's about 3600 sq/ft over 2 floors. Bullnose bead everywhere with 9' and 10' ceilings. Contractor also requested that I use the 90 deg transition pieces for the bottom of all the bullnose so he can just 45 all his trim. Lots of work for an old man..lol Have sanding and knock-down texture left and it's done.
    That's my idea of hell

You defiantly deserve a beer at the end of each day on that job.

Thread Information