New members. Please say hello and introduce yourself here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New & needing advice..

Hi,
    I have recently left the large format printing industry as I became frustrated with the type of work I was doing.
    I would like to go down the route of dry wall finishing. I have a good eye for detail from my printing & graphics background.

However, I have zero experience in the dry wall finishing trade. I am 40 years old and want to change my career and have the freedom of working for myself in the future.
    Is there a standard way to go about gaining experience? Do I need to work with someone/company first of all or am I best completing a course and then to work for somebody?

I am currently unemployed as I left the graphics trade as I wanted a complete break from it as I lost the desire for that type of work.
    I really need to get my working life back on track asap. I hope that the members of this forum can point me in the right direction!

Or (bit of a long shot..) if there is anyone who needs a hand so I can gain experience I am available straightaway...I live in Manchester.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your responses.

Cheers,
    Lee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Hi Lee. Welcome!

I kind of fell into this trade by accident when I was between jobs. I ended up with a sanding pole most the time working for a family business, thereby encouraging their tapers to not pick their snots off and just leave any old shit on the walls and ceilings. They were messy as they knew they didn't have to sand it. I actually hated it, but it was decent money and hardly anyone taped so I kept my head down and watched and learned as there was decent money available. I made enough cash for a taping course, van and tools then started my own business within 2 years. In the early 90's demand far outstripped supply though, we were making far more cash than I had earned in any job before.

If I were starting from scratch, I would get a trade as a painter or plasterer then learn to tape adding another string to your bow so you have 2 ways to make some income.

If that's not an option I would get some experience with a local firm, you will likely get the same start as i did. In the event you hate the job, then nothing's lost as you wont have spent a fortune on training. Chances are you will also require a CICS card to get on site, but I'm not sure if you would have to do a NVQ in drylining now to get one though. Perhaps someone else is able to better answer that than I am?

Has anyone else got some advice?

I've been away for 7 years so things will have changed by now. I did the opposite to you and got out a month before I turned 40. It's a young mans game and I think it would take me 6 months to get back to the same fitness and speed I had before. Funny I still don't miss the traveling, long hours, time I missed away from my family then chasing people for money due.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hey Lee ,

Im the same as amestaper. I Started sanding for a boy with a diddy stick ( Sanding pole ) . After leaving many a happy painter i started sanding for another boy. After about 8 or nine months the second guy i was sanding for had a guy working with him and he left to take on another role .. So i asked the question and he took me on teaching me bits here and there while still doing his sanding .. I have to say though the money wasn't great . I could make more money sanding for the 2 of them than i could make taping and sanding just for 1 of them . But i stuck in and learned how to do all aspects of it and then i started out on my own . I hired a tool kit from Gypsum and the rest as they say is History . Id maybe ask on here if anyone is looking for someone to do some sanding or if you know any painter/decorator firms ask them if they're looking for someone to do some sanding ,or you could even ask if they're looking for Adult apprentices . I know they do that now . A lot of companies now are looking for Older apprentices as most of the young apprentices these days just don't have the get up and go . Too busy on their social media and phones

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Buddy, Welcome to The Forums Enjoy Your Stay here

Thread Information