Visit Belmore Tools online shop

Thread: Project parties

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default Project parties

drywallschool.com

I got an invitation to an "appreciation evening" for a house we worked on last year.
    That isn't all that odd, except that I have been told countless times by homeowners that they intended to invite all the trades who worked on the house back for a party once it was finished. It has never happened. Not once in 22 years in the trades. I worked for a grizzled old Dutchman on the island who said he'd never seen one, never actually been invited to one, never even seen one actually done, though he'd signed the 'builder's Guest book' on hundreds of jobs over his past 40 years.
    Is this just a Canadian thing, to tell the trades they will be invited back and never do it? Or is it everywhere... or do they actually hold these parties in other parts of the world?

well, there is still a fortnight for this party to be cancelled in, the streak might last.
    Plumb and Level are the framer's perogative ...I can give you flat and straight... www.lightrocktaping.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

I'm going to one at the end of the month when my client returns from LA.

Believe it or not, theyre actually pretty good as a networking event because it lets you showcase your work to nosy visitors and influential friends. Don't get drunk because youre supposed to be giving a good account of yourself in front of your clients guests who will now want some of what their friend with the new house has.

I heard a story about a contractor who built an extension onto a recently built house in a street of 20 houses. Before the job started, he personally introduced himself to every one of the neighbours and left contact details. He was available if the other neighbours had any of the usual problems such as noise and parking while building a repertoire with them all throughout the project. When the job was completed, he asked his client if he could host one of these parties on the job at his own expense supplying free food and drink for all the neighbours in this street.

The end result was that he ended up doing around another 5 or 6 jobs on the very same street.

Take lots of business cards with you Peter.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Looking forward to it, tonights the night. Theres a Mexican theme with live music, food and (booze from .... who cares ) all provided by a happy client we built a dental surgery in Edinburgh for recently.

PS. A strange choice as there were no Mexican trades involved in the construction. Love the food so Im not complaining.
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

There must have been a hundred people there last night. A few visitors had complimented the painters on the finish they left, yet nobody seemed to notice my part in the contract - so I'm pleased the painters came along with me to put them right while I sneaked off to the kitchen for some more food and I got their feedback later

It appears that tapers are only ever noticed (or criticised) by members of the general public if you leave a shit job. It seems we are all doomed to insignificance and anonimity outside our own circle of influence in the trade. If you want to leave a good job, then you must leave no trace that you have ever been there. If that makes any sense??

Maybe I learned something last night from a different (customer) perspective and I wanted to share my eureka moment with you all.

Thread Information