Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CSCS cards

CSCS, OSAT, IPAF, PASMA, asbestos, risk assessment etc.

Getting the hang of this Captain perfect's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default CSCS cards

I have just picked up my new lacky [read nephew] & taken him to the magic bus to get his CSCS card just to get him on site before Uni.

What a absolute joke the questions are, he said 50% were about out side ground work issues & bore no use to a inside trade.

He flew through the 40 questions in about 10 mins, & came out with a pass, & me 30 odd out
    of pocket.

I would love to see some figures on how much is spent on cards & how the accident rate
    has fallen through card ownership.
    Milk No Sugar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

The questions are a complete joke! I read through them and asked my 8 year old son some questions and he got them right! Whats more surprising to me is the fact that some people actually DO fail this thing.
    One guy thought the answer to "what would you do to prevent rats being attracted to the site?" was "Bring a large cat to work"...............
    and we gave him a job driving the forklift!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

The whole CSCS deal is a rip off. For every site that asks to see the actual card, there are 2-3 that dont. I wonder how do so many poles get on site (supposedly with a card) yet they dont understand english??????????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DMC View Post
    The whole CSCS deal is a rip off. For every site that asks to see the actual card, there are 2-3 that dont. I wonder how do so many poles get on site (supposedly with a card) yet they dont understand english??????????

Most of them are counterfeit.

Getting the hang of this Captain perfect's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

We have 3 jobs on the go at the moment & only 1 has asked for the CSCS card.
    This is with 1 of the major house builders who are doing a small development of about 14 units.
    Unfortunatly I am not in possesion of a valid card so I cant go on this site

The site in question has no leccy so all trades run gennys with petrol & leads all over the place,
    & no site water all water comes from bowsers then into buckets, Just like in China

The 2 sites which dont require a card are for a small developer who has 110v leads set up on each
    floor of each unit & a stand pipe with hose within 20M of each plot.

The standard of workmanship on the CSCS site is appalling & shamefull, Their only concern seems to be a earlier completion date on each unit. I really pity any one who buys a new build which has been built in this credit crunch.

Where as the other 2 are only interested in a Quality snag free product with a content customer.
    Not regardless of cost but are prepared to pay a honest price for a honest job,

I am convinced the major construction companies are receiving for the CSCS scheme

Like the old saying where there is a scheme

there is a SCHEEMER
    Milk No Sugar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Aye i recently got my cscs card and the questions for it are way too easy, and most of the sites i have been on where you supposedly need one, people without just say they forgot it in induction and thats the end of it. And I agree the workmanship on these sites is quite bad. They where trying to introduce a similar scheme in N.Z before I left called site safe cards I wonder how they got on...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DMC View Post
    yah so i'm one of them foreign bu***s LOL i went to my first test end FAIL on it
    this question mess me up a small bit '' a near miss is an incident were '' .......
    I did understood near miss is a nurse or someone from first aid so I mark '' someone was injured nearly had to go to hospital ''
    but now I know :P I'll go to my test today

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain perfect View Post
    I have just picked up my new lacky [read nephew] & taken him to the magic bus to get his CSCS card just to get him on site before Uni.

What a absolute joke the questions are, he said 50% were about out side ground work issues & bore no use to a inside trade.

He flew through the 40 questions in about 10 mins, & came out with a pass, & me 30 odd out
    of pocket.

I would love to see some figures on how much is spent on cards & how the accident rate
    has fallen through card ownership.

Lol, i know is annoying but the mostly construction sites keep asking that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joseph View Post
    Lol, i know is annoying but the mostly construction sites keep asking that.
    Well you would say that wouldn't you? Its strangely co-incidental that you also posted a sneaky link back to your own site that just happens to sell CSCS cards.
    I wont post any of my crap on your site if you agree not to post any more here.... deal?
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

My card expires in Feb, have been told not to worry about as no one checks them that closely anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

just b careful they only ask for the number and they can check that online
    Taping & jointing
    Phone : 07526 221905

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Angry

This is a very good point now look at it like this on their website it says that there are currently 1,710,483 cards then times that by 47.50 which is the cost for the test and card (unless it's gone up)and you get 81,247,942.50 every 5 years now that's a tidy little sum for f@ck all might have to make up something else you ve got to have to get on site

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Well, DMC, only a few days of your card left, have you renewed? Are you an illegal???? Maybe the Poles have more right to be on site than you!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Mine expired about 2 yrs ago. Got some commercial work coming up and I reckon they'll want to see one, so i'm going to get a general operatives card. I'm buggered if i'm going to pay some pen pushing f@cktard 500 to come out and tell me that i'm doing my job right just so I can have a CSCS card with NVQ taper on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I only went for the grey card for joint tapers, simple test at plumbline of all places lol
    Linky : http://www.cscs.uk.com/occupations/d...le=Joint+Taper

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    Well, DMC, only a few days of your card left, have you renewed? Are you an illegal???? Maybe the Poles have more right to be on site than you!!!
    Got it renewed last Wednesday, its hard enough to keep working without taking stupid chances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default cscs

Most of our work is commercial and office fit outs,99% of the time if you don't have a card ,you don't get on site,it's the same when using a scissor lift,no ipaf card no scissor.if you think that's bad wait till they ask,if you have an asbestos awareness certificate or pasma card for scaffolding towers .In the end every body on this forum will need one, or all of these cards in the future, and the health+safety exec have more cards on the horizon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

With all these cards coming along thye're gona be pushing the price's of taping up so in the long run if you have them all the sky's the limit as far as pricing jobs is concerned who else are they going to find with al the rite cards to carry out the hazerdous jobs ????? Silly goverment rules if it comes to it i'll sign on the dole and do private work only ha ha ha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chabev10 View Post
    With all these cards coming along thye're gona be pushing the price's of taping up so in the long run if you have them all the sky's the limit as far as pricing jobs is concerned who else are they going to find with al the rite cards to carry out the hazerdous jobs ????? Silly goverment rules if it comes to it i'll sign on the dole and do private work only ha ha ha
    Call me cynical, but over the last 10 to 15 years a whole new industry has emerged and latched onto the building trade that sucks money from it at a time when few can afford it. Not saying health and safety isn't a bad thing, maybe it could just be better managed to stop the millions of pounds being syphoned into the pockets of organisations who have never worn overalls in their lives.

Can anyone name a single tradesman who managed to integrate the constant health and safety policy changes into their method statements / risk assessments etc, various card schemes etc and gain financially from it?

I just think it would be better to lock the middle men in suits out and regulate the safety from people with a more balanced view within the trades.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to amestaper For This Useful Post:

TonyM (28-02-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Has anybody in the South West actually had this OSAT done, or have you all just blagged a card? Seems there aren't any assessors available down this way. It beggars belief that they can even make an NVQ out of Drylining as it is only really a minute part of the plastering discipline after all.

Thread Information