Paint, decoration, wallpapers, spray, coving etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sprayable finishes any thoughts and experiences?

We've never had a huge call for taping and jointing in this region, I understand its very big in Scotland & London from my friend that works for BG, but I've noticed a trend towards sprayable finishes.
    I wasn't so keen on the self levelling one, it didn't level as well on a vertical substrate compared to the sample board I was shown.
    The sprayable plaster seems to of really taken off though, I was wondering if you guys have tried it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

I went to a Toupret demo last Thursday at a local decorators merchants. I was told that the traders would be getting there at about 8.30 - 9.00am, so thought i'd take a couple of hours off and see for myself. I turned up at nine and there was no sign of the spray people. Had a bacon roll and a cup of tea and then the merchants manager rang the rep. He was still a little way off but the spray chap was behind him somewhere. Best news was that they were only bringing a small spray and some of their filler coat which is basically a higher build drywall sealer that can be sprayed to 1mm thickness. Spray boy turned up at lunchtime and proceeded to mask up some plasterboard and spray the stuff on. I then got some Easifill 20 off the Atrex rep and made a false joint on one of the plasterboard sheets as I wanted to see the difference if any between the finish on a board and on a joint. We couldn't sand the edge of he Easifill as it was not properly dry, but once it was sprayed with about 8 passes of the spray gun, the finish was even. One annoying thing for me, was that both the rep and the sprayer chap had limited product knowledge. They couldn't tell me precise coverage,(I had to work that out myself from the data sheet) the cost per m2, and they knew little or nothing about taping & jointing. They were really there to sell to decorators for the refurbishment market, their range of spray plasters that cover up artex and bad walls etc, but without being able to really demonstrate it. So I still have yet to see a spray drywall skimcoat, and remain sceptical.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really??? I find that shocking. I was talking about Toupret, what area are you in? My rep is bang on, and Ady the demonstrator I'm used to is great, I'm sure Ady is the demonstrator for pretty much the whole of the uk, but sometimes Graco/Titan demonstrators go along to help out because they dont have the man power, I can only imagine its something like that, Ady & my rep spent a whole week with me 2 weeks ago they did days starting at 7 and were always there before me - im always casually late.
    I'll find out whats kicked off there, as I was going to recommend the new ranges they're bringing out to Belmore seeing as we're not competition, and i think they'd do well with them, i've got a few demo boards, but its a niche market and not for me.
    I find it odd that they didnt know anything about taping & jointing, I know Ady was a traditional plasterer, but surely he know about T&J??
    Professional interest if nothing else?
    I had a plasterer that was struggling badly last year, he got to the point of asking me for a job,I introduced him to the TX110 filler for jobs such as schools where speeds essential, took me ages literally months to get him to use anything else in the range, he saw the TX Pulsar being demo'd at my store and wasnt impressed like me, but took to the TX120 which he had shown on site, unfortunately when I left my old job I was put on gardening leave, and didnt get to find out the feedback, he walked into my new store in a different town today and ordered 10 tubs, so it cant be bad, he said he's never been so busy because of how quick it is, but then he's never T&J ...so I dunno.
    Have a chat with Belmore see if they can sort you out a demo?

gosh I ramble sorry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

I'm sorry to say that the spray chap is the same guy you know,and the rep, whose name I can't remember,couldn't even find his business cards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

cripes, then thats just shit poor on their behalf. is it cos taping & jointing conflicts with what theyre doing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TradeDecoratingSupplies View Post
    cripes, then thats just shit poor on their behalf. is it cos taping & jointing conflicts with what theyre doing?
    No Idea. They admitted that their target market was decorators looking to do more making good/patching & plastering works. Apparently in France where Toupret comes from, the decorators do all the plastering & painting. The merchant reckoned that the rep was freelance and worked for 2 or 3 different companies, so probably had a little knowledge of numerous products.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    No Idea. They admitted that their target market was decorators looking to do more making good/patching & plastering works. Apparently in France where Toupret comes from, the decorators do all the plastering & painting. The merchant reckoned that the rep was freelance and worked for 2 or 3 different companies, so probably had a little knowledge of numerous products.

Correct, they are all agents, i'm lucky mine is particularly good in my area, always sends me free products to try myself - the more specified products, & always replaces whatever i give away free wiithout question, must admit I encountered an agent of theirs at last years P&D show, we had a toupret stand amongst the crown ones and the agent who i didnt know complimented me on my knowledge - whilst I was musing his lack of. And again yes, France they don't have specific tradesmen like we do they have handymen that can do everything, including wallpapering door panels-they love that over there non? <<<shudder>>> anyhoo im pissed on cheaqp red wine after a wank day, i cant even be bothered to undo that typo i can see lol.
    Night Night Tony M

Thread Information